Livewire Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about heat off that electric motor and battery. On my test ride, I didn't really notice anything, but it was 75 degrees and I really wasn't focused on that. I was trying to hold on and probably missed a lot of the subtleties of the bike.

Do these bikes put out any considerable heat? Does it become more noticeable in the summer? Do you feel that heat in different areas than you would on a traditional Harley? If the motor becomes hot, it looks like your feet might get a bit warm???

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just curious about heat off that electric motor and battery. On my test ride, I didn't really notice anything, but it was 75 degrees and I really wasn't focused on that. I was trying to hold on and probably missed a lot of the subtleties of the bike.

Do these bikes put out any considerable heat? Does it become more noticeable in the summer? Do you feel that heat in different areas than you would on a traditional Harley? If the motor becomes hot, it looks like your feet might get a bit warm???

Thanks.
I’ve only been riding a LW for the past couple of weeks in 50-75 degree weather. I’ve noticed the LACK of heat compared to my air cooled bikes. After a 60 mile highway run the battery and motor were barely warm. I think the highest temperature the battery has reported is 77.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Thanks.
I've had my bike a year in two weeks. No concern over heat at all. I'm in Texas and I've been in 100˚ or over temps several times this summer.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
37 Posts
I've had mine for over a year now, in ambient 20° degree up to 120° + degree weather with little heat "radiating" from the bike. (I could never warm my hands like I use to on it - no gloves - with gloves you can't feel anything.) 'course I have a heated vest I use in the winter months.

The temp on the dash has indicated the RESS (main battery) has been as low as 46° degrees and as high as 117° (F)

So far it gets the warmest during DC fast charging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

I have ridden the LiveWire through Death Valley in the summer of 2020. The outside temp was about 112 and the bikes widget was displaying 148, as you can imagine I was a bit worried.
As I called my engineering contacts at HD I was told that if there were no error messages I should not worry about it. The LW was tested in pretty harsh climates in the HD Arizona proving grounds, so not to worry.

On that note I normally see higher temps on the bike when charging it. As I talked to the VP of engineering at HD and the engineer who proposed that the bike should be air cooled on the battery pack, they (HD) focused on the Thermal Management of the bike which to them is one of the best accomplishments from an engineering perspective.

Here is a thermal image of the bike as its charging on a L1 charger. As you can see the heat is building up on the power cable which is connected to the tank where you have the BCM *body control module and other vital electronics, are housed, followed by the electric motor then you see a slight glow on the RESS.

Hope this answer some questions about heat and thermal management on the bike?

Diego
8ncngvivpq651.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts