Livewire Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The silver metal bolt cover that goes just above the motor keeps falling off! I think the heat during the summer affected the double-sided tape so it no longer stays attached to the bike. Should I just buy some new tape and re-stick it on or should I complain to the dealer and have them do it? I'm probably a month or two away from my 1000 miles service. I've attached a picture!

Thanks,
Erick
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread

· Registered
25 Posts
This is one fix for the left and right “Medallion, Lower” (the medallions that tend to reject their homes, H-D neglected to use “PREMIUM” Double Stick Tape). I Installed a #2-56, SS, button head screw (these screws are very small the head is about 5/32” diameter (4mm) at each end of the medallion, located in what I figured was as an inconspicuous place as possible (hard to notice from 5 feet away). I cleaned up the double stick tape, but did not replace the tape. There are wires behind the medallion in the location of the screws, so the screws and nuts on the back side need to be keep as low profile as possible to avoid chaffing these wires. The button head screw has the lowest profile head (that I know of). The closest Metric equivalent is 2mm x 0.4mm, which is only slightly smaller.
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grille Synthetic rubber

J

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That looks like a pretty solid fix. I put on some new 3M double-sided tape, cut in the same shapes as the original tape. Hopefully it will hold better. At least through the cooletr months!

· Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! That looks like a pretty solid fix. I put on some new 3M double-sided tape, cut in the same shapes as the original tape. Hopefully it will hold better. At least through the cooletr months!
The reason I used a mechanical fix as opposed to replacing the double sided tape is:
I obtained this H-D LiveWire with 640 miles on the odometer, and the left lower medallion was missing. Believe me I thought hard about drilling holes in the medallion, but if the tape fails and the medallion dislodges while sitting in your garage, then no problem you can reattach it. If the tape fails at 70 mph on the freeway, good luck finding it and if you did find it, it would probably at least need to be repainted.
FYI, I have been working on a new wear house across the bay from San Francisco, I mention the location because the weather is mild compared to some places (normally temps never reach freezing). Several signs for fire extinguishers were installed on clean dry, freshly painted steel columns using 3M Extreme double sided tape, and like your medallion and my medallion, many of these signs rejected their homes, and were found on the floor.
J

· Registered
Livewire
91 Posts
This is one fix for the left and right “Medallion, Lower” (the medallions that tend to reject their homes, H-D neglected to use “PREMIUM” Double Stick Tape). I Installed a #2-56, SS, button head screw (these screws are very small the head is about 5/32” diameter (4mm) at each end of the medallion, located in what I figured was as an inconspicuous place as possible (hard to notice from 5 feet away). I cleaned up the double stick tape, but did not replace the tape. There are wires behind the medallion in the location of the screws, so the screws and nuts on the back side need to be keep as low profile as possible to avoid chaffing these wires. The button head screw has the lowest profile head (that I know of). The closest Metric equivalent is 2mm x 0.4mm, which is only slightly smaller.
View attachment 1354

View attachment 1355
View attachment 1356
J
Thanks for sharing this point, I will check on my LW and thinking of doing the same to prevent from losing this parts..., but I haven't catch how you manage the nuts fixation ?

· Registered
Livewire
91 Posts
Thanks for sharing this point, I will check on my LW and thinking of doing the same to prevent from losing this parts..., but I haven't catch how you manage the nuts fixation ?
ok, understood, this medallion is attached on the plasctic black part. So possible to add this 2 smalls screws+nuts after having removing the black plastic surrounding . Have you an idea of the torq values for refixing the ginal black parts ?

· Registered
25 Posts
ok, understood, this medallion is attached on the plasctic black part. So possible to add this 2 smalls screws+nuts after having removing the black plastic surrounding . Have you an idea of the torq values for refixing the ginal black parts ?
Torque specifications from:
Livewire Model 2020 H-D service Manual, PN: 94000704

The side covers (lower, middle, upper) and the top cover, use 6mm screws, Torque Value: 44-62 in-lbs (5-7 N•m).

The REAR COVER screw Torque Value is LESS, these 6mm screws Torque Value: 18-35 in-lbs (2-4 N•m). The Rear Cover is the black vinyl trim piece in front of the seat, below the top cover. It is held on by two 6mm screws under the front of the seat, this piece is plastic and the screw holes do not have metal bushings, so the screws will crush the plastic if over tightened. Again the Rear Cover Torque Value: 18-35 in-lbs (2-4 N•m).

· Registered
Livewire
91 Posts
Job done for me one the left side, I've decided to add only one M3-10mm screw +nut ( both stainless steel).
Now aware about this risk, I will check each time I m cleaning my LW. Ready for the ridht side ! Thanks to the forum actors for sharing such risk/ solution.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Hardwood Wood stain
Bumper Carbon Automotive exterior Composite material Automotive design

· Registered
25 Posts
Good job. It looks like it belongs there. We could jokingly ask other LiveWire owners why their’s are missing the small screws that secure the lower medallions.
This is just a reminder, and I’m sure you checked, but just in case, make sure the nut on the inside doesn’t chafe on anything, especially the high voltage wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts