Livewire Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley did great with the 2020 LiveWire. It was their first go at developing an electric motorcycle that went by well. For 2021, the LiveWire could see changes to range, performance, handling, weight, features, options, specs and even pricing. To owners that spent enough time with this bike, what do you think those changes should be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's gotta be Level 2 charging!!!! That would be a game changer for a lot of people (especially me :))

·
Registered
102 Posts
Harley did great with the 2020 LiveWire. It was their first go at developing an electric motorcycle that went by well. For 2021, the LiveWire could see changes to range, performance, handling, weight, features, options, specs and even pricing. To owners that spent enough time with this bike, what do you think those changes should be?
There will be no major changes to the 2021 LW if any at all. If they do something it will be options they left off the 2020. Accessories like heated grips, windscreen, storage, etc. With level 3 charging built in there is no need for Level 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Level 3 charging is faster, but there are not near as many stations as Level 2 (of course this is dependent on where you live). I test drove a Zero last year and was able to drive out away from the city and charge the bike at a restaurant while I had lunch. The LiveWire (as its currently designed) forces you to stay within range of a Level 3 charger (which is few and far between..again depending on where you live). Level 2 chargers are also cheap to install and are usually free. Ideally it would be nice to have Level 1,2, and 3 chargers on board. That in my mind would allow the greatest flexibility but probably undoable for some reason. Of course as soon as a few more level 3 stations pop up in my area I will probably change my tune :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to keep harping on this...but I plan on buying a Cyber Truck next year. The Cyber Truck will have a 220V outlet in the bed (running off a ~ 200 KW battery). If the LiveWire would accept Level 2 charging I could use the Cyher Truck as my home base when I wanted to ride somewhere cool away from city. A man can dream cant he....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree - L2 would be nice. I don't know anything about these systems....could it be updated with software? L1 is great for home, but at work the chargers are L2 and so I would be getting only L1 (do I pay for L1 or L2?)

the fast charger can't be used any more frequently than every 4th charge or warranty may be denied

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it’s a hardware issue. The great conspiracy theory is that Harley chose level 3 so you would likely go to a Harley dealer to charge. This would actually be ok, but level 3 chargers are so expensive to install that not that many Harley dealers are going to have them. I live in Indiana and I believe we only have 2 LiveWire dealers in the entire state. I was told that it’s very expensive for a dealer to obtain the infrastructure Harley requires in order to sell LiveWires. It’s a conundrum indeed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it’s a hardware issue. The great conspiracy theory is that Harley chose level 3 so you would likely go to a Harley dealer to charge. This would actually be ok, but level 3 chargers are so expensive to install that not that many Harley dealers are going to have them. I live in Indiana and I believe we only have 2 LiveWire dealers in the entire state. I was told that it’s very expensive for a dealer to obtain the infrastructure Harley requires in order to sell LiveWires. It’s a conundrum indeed.
You can lay that theory to rest. All HD Livewire dealers are required to have Level 3 chargers. There are currently 150 to 160 LW dealers. You get 2 years free charging from these dealers. The chargers are on the ChargePoint network so you can use any CP charger anywhere to charge up for free. You also get 500kWh free charging from the Electrify America network over your first two years. 500kWh is equivalent to 38 full charges. EA is installing a network across major highways so you will not be more than 70 miles between chargers. EA is a subsidiary of Volkswagen. EA is growing so fast Ford has partnered with them for the upcoming BEV Mach-E. Here in Texas most EA chargers are at Walmart locations. ChargePoint is in the meantime installing on average 2000 chargers per month in new locations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Small world!! I just spoke to them yesterday and they said they just sold their first LiveWire. You must have been that lucky guy! Where did you find information on future Charge Point Level 3 chargers? As far as I can tell most Charge Point installations are level 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts