Livewire Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
There will be no major changes to the 2021 LW if any at all. If they do something it will be options they left off the 2020. Accessories like heated grips, windscreen, storage, etc. With level 3 charging built in there is no need for Level 2.
There is indeed a need for Level 2 charging, at least here in New England. L3 chargers are few and far between, and L2 charging at L1 (extreme lack of) speed is ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been on the other side of this - arguing that L2 is not an issue because in reality, most people will have this as a second, third, or eighth bike in my case. In that setting the "need" to go more than 120-ish miles at a time will be quite low. It is an expensive toy, not much more at this point as HD demonstrates what can be achieved at this time. Of course, there are exceptions and I also have the advantage of riding in central Indiana where roads are flat (maybe not really an advantage!) and so I get probably optimal range.

Here is my question for someone with a lot of EV experience - don't you think that L3 is the future if we really are going to a larger fleet of EV vs ICE? Living in rural America, I struggle with how the infrastructure will be implemented and even L2 is just not going to be enough for practical purposes. So it seems to me that L3 is an essential direction.
L3 is definitely the future, but I'm 64 now so DK if I'll live long enough to see that, so for me, the future is NOW! I "need" to be able to get more than 80 miles on the hiway and be able to quickly charge to complete the next 80 miles on rural, combined up- and down-hill rural roads to my regular destination, if I'm going to do it on an electric MC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The charging would be a nice upgrade but can we do something about the software. The live wire has Bluetooth but can't use Apple Carplay or the droid version . If this was part of the dash that would be nice as well. Also a sound system on the bike would be nice as well incorporate some speakers into the front fairing.

I also belive if they want to see what can happen to a livewire software package make it open source and they will find riders that are programmers that could help improve the control center.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Getting back to the question, although it seems L2 needs it's own thread or more!

I think it's already possible to increase the batter size. Enerigica is revealing their next model using 21.6kwh batteries which I believe are from their race bikes. That's going to dwarf the ELW.

I think bike performance wise, I can't see what they could possibly do. Perhaps this is why the L2 debate is so long, this bike is a masterpiece.

Software is easily it's weak spot. The comms button is a constant reminder about how the bike was supposed to be integrated digital innovation. Its arguably a fail in much of the digital interface. Which leads me to wonder, how much of a failure is it in the software controlling charging and battery life?

Finally, I'd like to see other bike styles offered. I was a bit gobsmacked we got a Buell street bike as the only option (my preference anyway) and I expected to see a more traditional harley looking bike style as another option. I don't think ELW will make one of those, but given they now can try to capture the largest growing segment for new riders I would expect they should put out a sportsbike style, or cafe racer. Just another choice that is actually a different frame/build.

And yeah, my main hope out of the new brand in general is that we get some actual mod parts made available for us. The accessories has been shockingly light.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts