Livewire Forums banner

What are your thoughts?

• Stick to a Harley Davidson charger?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider an after market charger ?

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Stay with what the bike came with and unpack it and repack it every time?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or bought a generic charger off Amazon or similar? I would really like to keep the Harley one under my seat when charging at home. I am nervous about it not working properly or upsetting the bike. Would these sort of chargers be approved under warranty? They seem to be usable by all other EV’s. Anyone have a preference? Advice? I have priced an extra one from Harley. Over $800 cdn.
D0F03FCA-5982-485F-83A9-B05D68AA7380.jpeg

·
Registered
73 Posts
The HD charger for my NZ LiveWire that came with the bike "didn't work in NZ" said the dealer, so while HD HQ sort it out, they delivered mine with a non-Harley charger that looks very much like the one above (except of course with a NZ-style plug). And it works just fine, although it does not fit under the seat. So the dealer nicely gave me a free H-D backpack to carry the charger in :) Like I say, the alternative charges just fine, for my bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No worries for me. I charge with whatever is available and already plugged in... I use the generic charger that came with wife's Leaf or daughter's Hyundai, or son's Zero. My HD charger stays under the seat in case I need a charge away from a public charger (so I have not used it).

Long cable for sure and make sure the Plug matches your outlets and the load is way less than your circuit breakers/fuses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries for me. I charge with whatever is available and already plugged in... I use the generic charger that came with wife's Leaf or daughter's Hyundai, or son's Zero. My HD charger stays under the seat in case I need a charge away from a public charger (so I have not used it).

Long cable for sure and make sure the Plug matches your outlets and the load is way less than your circuit breakers/fuses.
Excellent thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
68 Posts
also keep in mind, the above is NOT an L2 "charger", it's just a "cable" capable of L2 output using a 240 outlet... the ELW down-converts anything below DCF.
So, while I have not purchased another cable (I only travel with mine in a tail bag - I got on Amazon - when I'm FAR away from a DCF), I'd make sure it's the least expensive and don't buy one that costs you more 'cause it says it's "L2", 'cause there is no converter in the cable or the bike for L2. Above is a glorified extension chord.

·
Registered
282 Posts
also keep in mind, the above is NOT an L2 "charger", it's just a "cable" capable of L2 output using a 240 outlet... the ELW down-converts anything below DCF.
So, while I have not purchased another cable (I only travel with mine in a tail bag - I got on Amazon - when I'm FAR away from a DCF), I'd make sure it's the least expensive and don't buy one that costs you more 'cause it says it's "L2", 'cause there is no converter in the cable or the bike for L2. Above is a glorified extension chord.
All owners of the LW should know that it only charges Level 1 and DCFC. Webasto does supply the cable to HD. The cable is 120/240V.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How much is the Webasto Charger? Can you just buy a charger directly from Harley or is it too ridiculously expensive?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On their site the Webasto is $499 USD. I priced the Harley one at the Dealership at over $800 CDN ($880 if I recall right). Mac Mike is correct, the Webasto and Harley one look almost exactly the same, so they are the OEM supplier for sure. Other than the fact that the Webasto does 120/240 charging, although the Livewire will lower the 240 down to 120 as mentioned. Still seems about 25 - 30% cheaper for the same manufactured item. The one sold by Webasto is a 220 plug and comes with a clip on adaptor, whereas the Harley one is straight 120. I like the fac tha is can’t be argued that it is an inferior charger.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi all.

Here are some pix of the charger supplied with my most excellent LiveWire. The tags indicate it was made nearly a year ago, imported into NZ by a local agent, and as it was supplied by the dealer it clearly is 'officially' approved for LW use. As a more generic charger it is gonna be in my experience about 40% cheaper than any HD-branded version (extrapolating from 20 years of owning various HD bikes :) )

IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG

·
Registered
282 Posts
On their site the Webasto is $499 USD. I priced the Harley one at the Dealership at over $800 CDN ($880 if I recall right). Mac Mike is correct, the Webasto and Harley one look almost exactly the same, so they are the OEM supplier for sure. Other than the fact that the Webasto does 120/240 charging, although the Livewire will lower the 240 down to 120 as mentioned. Still seems about 25 - 30% cheaper for the same manufactured item. The one sold by Webasto is a 220 plug and comes with a clip on adaptor, whereas the Harley one is straight 120. I like the fac tha is can’t be argued that it is an inferior charger.
You all do know all the information is on the cable supplied with the Livewire? This is the USA label.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone tried or bought a generic charger off Amazon or similar? I would really like to keep the Harley one under my seat when charging at home. I am nervous about it not working properly or upsetting the bike. Would these sort of chargers be approved under warranty? They seem to be usable by all other EV’s. Anyone have a preference? Advice? I have priced an extra one from Harley. Over $800 cdn.
View attachment 468
View attachment 468
I have actually never used the charger under the seat. I've always used either the Siemens charger in my garage or the Home ChargePoint charger I have at my city condo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After Mac Mike informed me that Webasto makes the OEM Harley Charger I looked around a bit. Webasto is a premium product, they also make the same charger for BMW with a 20ft cord. Found a brand new from a dealer for $249. So that’s where I landed. It is identical to the Harley one, with the exact same stats, but is branded BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
68 Posts
After Mac Mike informed me that Webasto makes the OEM Harley Charger I looked around a bit. Webasto is a premium product, they also make the same charger for BMW with a 20ft cord. Found a brand new from a dealer for $249. So that’s where I landed. It is identical to the Harley one, with the exact same stats, but is branded BMW.
Gotta love the 500% bar and shield markup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts