Livewire Forums banner

What are your thoughts?

• Stick to a Harley Davidson charger?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider an after market charger ?

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Stay with what the bike came with and unpack it and repack it every time?

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

This was the best price I could find at $174. Thinking about having a cheaper one to use at work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the update. This looks exactly like the charger I have for my Livewire. The only difference is the color. My goal is to make sure I don’t violate the warranty on the battery. I heard a battery replacement for the Livewire is 10,000 dollars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use an L2 charger from Clipper Creek. Had it for years charging a Chevy Volt.. Works fine on the Livewire. Keep in mind while they are called a "Charger" or "Charging Station", the charger is actually built into the bike or car. The "Charging Station" is simply suppling voltage to the built in charger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the update. I feel more comfortable using a non OEM charger. I appreciate all the feedback. I want to leave the OEM cord under the seat and use the secondary charger at home. I'm really enjoying the Livewire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, Menoche. Are you satisfied with the Morec charger? Is it working properly charging your HD Livewire? Somewhere on their website it mentions that it's not approved for motorcycle charging, so I wondered how it's working for you. Many thanks!
Hi Ralphy27,
Yes I am, got it 3 days ago, charges just fine.
Not sure why they would say such a thing as the charging is really controlled by the onboard module, which limits the current flow.
Only thing missing is a wifi or bluetooth connexion so I can get a remote view of charging status (My IM is faulty and waiting for the part to come in at the dealer).
Phil

·
Registered
63 Posts
nope, you'd need a smart charger for this. then again, at 1.4kw you can go to 100%... it's when charging with a DC that you'd rather stop at 80 to prevent too much stress to the battery

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
190 Posts
Does the motorcycle stop charging at 80%?
This is not a built-in feature of the bike... which I hope a firmware upgrade could do in the future.
For now, (I personally) use a smart switch to turn it on and off and calculate roughly 10% per hour for how long to let the bike charge and then automatically shut off.

I leave my bike between 30-70% per recommendations.

I use this same process in reverse for turning on in the middle of the night to be fully charged in the am without sitting at 100% SOC for to long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The bike will automatically stop the charge at 100% watch it go... everything turns off at 100% on its own
the 80% for the CC charger is either via your phone with you checking or manual check. yes it would be nice to stop at 80% auto for the big chargers

·
Registered
63 Posts
so clarification as per page 41 of the manual.
when charging with DC fast charger, the charge will automatically slow down from 80% to limit damage and overheat and keep the temperature under control.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
190 Posts
Thanks. I knew I got the 80% from somewhere :)

I was told to avoid the fast charging when possible.
Fast charging should be done at 1 fast charge then 4 slow charges.
The bike should "sit" between 30-70% when idle (not being used.)
It will also keep the coolant running after charging has stopped for a little while if components are warm.. so expect that if you hear it running, even when you unplug it... This is normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ralphy27,
Not sure why they would say such a thing as the charging is really controlled by the onboard module, which limits the current flow.
Only thing missing is a wifi or bluetooth connexion so I can get a remote view of charging status (My IM is faulty and waiting for the part to come in at the dealer).
Phil
Thanks for the quick reply. I just got my Livewire last week, so I'm slowly learning all of this. I can see the charging status on my phone with the HD Connect app, does this non-factory charge cord stop that feature? Or, are you saying you wish the Morec charge cord had its own app to report charge status?
Also, what part are you referring to when you say that your IM is faulty?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ralphy27,
Phil
P
Hi Ralphy27,
Phil
Hi, Phil:
Well, I bought the US version of the Morec charger you mentioned. I haven't received it yet. I think the main difference is that it comes with an adapter plug to change from 240V to US 110V. I also went to the Morec website again where I originally read that it might not be compatible with the LiveWire. I wrote a note to their support team asking if it would work. I finally got a response from them. Here it is:

Sorry for the late reply.
Our chargers are designed for electric car. Motorcycles are not fully compatible, and may not be usable after a period of time. We don't recommend you to buy this charger for your motorcycle.​
Morec from MOREC EV Charger

I asked for a better explanation of why they say it's not compatible, but they haven't answered me yet.
Maybe they just haven't tested it?
Ralph

·
Registered
63 Posts
that sounds like an answer from someone who does not want to get in the subject..... then again, perhaps the charger does not play well with the 1.4kwh requirement from our bikes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
that sounds like an answer from someone who does not want to get in the subject..... then again, perhaps the charger does not play well with the 1.4kwh requirement from our bikes?
Hi Phil:

Excuse me for bringing this up again, I just wanted to check in with you about the Morec LW charger. Now that you've had it for a bit longer, have any charging issues come up?

I bought the US version from Amazon, but I haven't opened the package yet. If you say it's okay for you, I'll try mine. If not, I'll return it.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,

Ralphy27

21 - 40 of 61 Posts