Livewire Forums banner

What are your thoughts?

• Stick to a Harley Davidson charger?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider an after market charger ?

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Stay with what the bike came with and unpack it and repack it every time?

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
162 Posts
... I just wanted to check in with you about the Morec LW charger. Now that you've had it for a bit longer, have any charging issues come up?...
curious too, as I checked with the dealer yesterday, and they indicated, not only do I need some sort of corp approval to get a second charger, they want to charge me $650 for it. NO, just NO!

·
Registered
46 Posts
HI Guys,
I did go the Harley route too and got baffled by the 850$ price and requirement from Harley to know WHY I wanted one... also check other car manufacturer and they all are between 590 and 800 Canadian $.
The first unit I got from Amazon stopped working after a few days and returned it... after a few research, I noticed there was another charger which has a selection button for 10 and 16 Amps. I ordered that one and selected 10amps and it now charges my Livewire every night just like any other level 1 charger would.
My guess is that the first one was trying to push 16 amps at all times and could not level down when the bike was over 80% or so. or it was just defective.
Anyhow, the second model ( Morec with the switch) now works just fine :)
Phil

·
Registered
162 Posts
HI Guys,
I did go the Harley route too and got baffled by the 850$ price and requirement from Harley to know WHY I wanted one... also check other car manufacturer and they all are between 590 and 800 Canadian $.
The first unit I got from Amazon stopped working after a few days and returned it... after a few research, I noticed there was another charger which has a selection button for 10 and 16 Amps. I ordered that one and selected 10amps and it now charges my Livewire every night just like any other level 1 charger would.
My guess is that the first one was trying to push 16 amps at all times and could not level down when the bike was over 80% or so. or it was just defective.
Anyhow, the second model ( Morec with the switch) now works just fine :)
Phil
which did you get? I may have to pick some up.

I'm just dumb founded why they even care at the shop why I want one.

if I could, I'd have one at home, on my bike, at every family members house and friends... that way I could always charge up while I'm hanging out and not have to fuss with the one under my seat, saving that for remote situations.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
this one:
cool. thanks keep us posted on it's functionality.

·
Registered
162 Posts
...Morec with the switch...
Phil
I noticed the switch does not seem to be a flip switch (constant state)... instead a push button.

does it stay at 10A when it's powered off, or do you have to depress it each time you switch it on?

I ask as I use a smart switch to automatically power it on or off depending on it's charge level or time of day... without needing to plug it in manually, I just leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Allright, here's the result of my test:
  • if you disconnect, and reconnect, it remains on 10Amps
  • After a charge, once it goes in standby, it still remains on 10Amps
  • Might try to let it off power for a few hours to see?

·
Registered
162 Posts
You need to press it to select 10Amp every time you reconnect the charger to 120V or after a power outage I guess... haven't tried this yet and did not get power outages :)
would you mind testing it for me?

just unplug it, give it a min and plug it back in and report back?

I will avoid it for now if I have to flip it every time, to easy to forget.

thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
for 1 minute, it stays on 10 Amps
it's not a big deal on 16 amps as the bike will stop the charge anyways
I'll give it a 16 amps go tomorrow and see how the bike reacts.
cool thanks.

and yes, I like the idea of testing it unplugged for longer.

I do let mine sit plugged in overnight on a Friday and auto switch on at like 3am to be fully charged when I wake up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great thread, thank you all. Can I be a little annoying and ask your advice because y'all at electrically educated; me, meh. My rental LW does not have access to a household power socket (I'm living in a hotel apartment on the 4th floor and the bike won't fit in the elevator...).

I have access to a 1000W output camping storage power unit ( a Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Generator) and Google (I know...) 'tells' me that 1000W can put out enough amps to charge the LW. I think... How to convert 1000 watts to amps (A)

So; bearing in mind this is entirely my decision to try, is plugging the standard 'household current' underseat cable into a 1000W other battery, likely to charge the LW?

Thanks for any advice (or indeed warnings...!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
1000W won't be enough. you need at least 1400 watts for the smallest level 1 charger to run. Unless you can find a charger which is limited to 8 amps, (8x120V==960watts) you'll have to go higher. In any case, the EVSE will top off your 1000w. The breaker will mostly jump or, if you're lucky, charger very slowly. How Many amps can the generator provide on it's breaker?

·
Registered
128 Posts
1000W won't be enough. you need at least 1400 watts for the smallest level 1 charger to run. Unless you can find a charger which is limited to 8 amps, (8x120V==960watts) you'll have to go higher. In any case, the EVSE will top off your 1000w. The breaker will mostly jump or, if you're lucky, charger very slowly. How Many amps can the generator provide on it's breaker?
Thank you very much. I dunno the generator breaker amps, I'll ask the lender, but looks like it's not going to do the job. It was worth a try, I thought. Appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Unfortunately, no. It's a converted high-rise hotel with only a drive-up unloading area, and no power sockets at all outside the lobby, and not even an opening window I could pass a charging (extension) cord through into the lobby.

At the moment I am charging at a town hall office outlet about 1 km walk away. It's presently workable, just a PITA.

I will be canvassing a workshop 2 doors down from where I work, to see if I can charge-for-pay at a wall outlet in their building during their working day.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts