Livewire Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the Harley-Davidson Livewire Forum!

This thread is for any first-time posters to introduce themselves and give a small description of who they are, as well as any further details they wish to include. We would also like to remind everyone to fill out their profile by uploading an avatar and to fill out the signature section. By doing this, our goal is to help establish a greater sense of community among HD Livewire owners and enthusiasts. Alternatively, you can create your own dedicated introduction thread as many have done already!

Joining us recently:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome!
I was pleased to see that @electric rocket, like many others here, come from traditional Harley's but also realize how great the Livewire is. On top of that I never expected to see an electric cruiser community grow as much as this did. It just goes to show, build a great bike and the market (us riders) will respond!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
New Livewire owner, orange, 1HD2XAEB6LB801365, Colorado Springs, USA
Just added low profile seat and frame guards. Will be used as a 50 miles/day roundtrip commuter with access to level 3 charging at place of employment. Should work out well. I'm curious as to how many Livewire are on the road ?
Hope to chime in and contribute in the near future.
Rob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,
New Livewire owner, orange, 1HD2XAEB6LB801365, Colorado Springs, USA
Just added low profile seat and frame guards. Will be used as a 50 miles/day roundtrip commuter with access to level 3 charging at place of employment. Should work out well. I'm curious as to how many Livewire are on the road ?
Hope to chime in and contribute in the near future.
Rob
Welcome to the forum @rcmaEV! How long have you had your Livewire? Have you been able to take it out for any rides?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @rcmaEV! How long have you had your Livewire? Have you been able to take it out for any rides?
Less than 2 weeks. About 350miles so far. It’s used as my commuter to work and errands. I’ve concluded that I’m not gonna be riding with others too often based on range. But that’s not why I Got one.
So far I’ve been adjusting preload front and rear to suit my taste, added the low profile seat, waterproof backpack, and a second level 1 Charge cable (Amazon). Amazing how you can ride this bike down to 1% without a limp mode.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Less than 2 weeks. About 350miles so far. It’s used as my commuter to work and errands. I’ve concluded that I’m not gonna be riding with others too often based on range. But that’s not why I Got one.
So far I’ve been adjusting preload front and rear to suit my taste, added the low profile seat, waterproof backpack, and a second level 1 Charge cable (Amazon). Amazing how you can ride this bike down to 1% without a limp mode.

View attachment 354
What a great pairing you have there with your 911! What model is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just showing a pic of my Livewire. I also have a few other street legal motorcycles but the Livewire is getting the most use. The lack of heat coming off the bike compared to ICE bikes is an unexpected benefit in the summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey! First time Harley owner, first time chat room user. Brought her home last night and coasted in to the driveway on 0% after my first 100 miles. Today we did 100 more and I plan on riding every day for as much of the year as possible in New England. Work is 45 miles one way so this should be ideal? Stay tuned...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey! First time Harley owner, first time chat room user. Brought her home last night and coasted in to the driveway on 0% after my first 100 miles. Today we did 100 more and I plan on riding every day for as much of the year as possible in New England. Work is 45 miles one way so this should be ideal? Stay tuned... View attachment 410
Welcome to the forum @oldmanbythesea! What convinced you to go with the LiveWire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum @oldmanbythesea! What convinced you to go with the LiveWire?
I have always wanted a Harley, and I've always wanted an EV...so I started dreaming of the LW when it was first announced and decided with the world apparently ending sooner than I thought I should bite the bullet...so I sold my 'fun' car and used it for a down payment...

·
Registered
10 Posts
When rides to 0... it goes to the shop...500 miles young...'needs a new 9V'...lesson learned...hopefully the damage is repairable and warranty will be honored...PS, towing, by AAA AND HD was a challenge!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry. 12V...Not sure why I was thinking 9 lol...The bike uses the little battery for the computer and the other for the propulsion. When the latter dies, the former only has so long before it drains as well and when it goes, you can't charge because the computer won't let you...I saw a video online of someone running out of juice and having to jump the 12V BEFORE they could charge the main...I called the dealer and they wanted to come pick it up and replace the smaller battery (still waiting as it cannot fly)...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry. 12V...Not sure why I was thinking 9 lol...The bike uses the little battery for the computer and the other for the propulsion. When the latter dies, the former only has so long before it drains as well and when it goes, you can't charge because the computer won't let you...I saw a video online of someone running out of juice and having to jump the 12V BEFORE they could charge the main...I called the dealer and they wanted to come pick it up and replace the smaller battery (still waiting as it cannot fly)... View attachment 415
The RESS is supposed to keep the 12V charged.Watch this video starting at 12 minute mark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not figured wish battery is low when the low battery light comes on.

main battery, 12 volt battery, fob batter, it just says low battery.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have not figured wish battery is low when the low battery light comes on.

main battery, 12 volt battery, fob batter, it just says low battery.
RESS which you can verify when instrument module is showing a low % remaining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy from Northern Virginia.

Gut wrenchingly quick. A mobile work of art. Worth the two bikes I traded for it.

I was not impressed with Harley’s electric bike, the Livewire, when I participated in the corporate demo they took on the road in 2019. The ride was too controlled and did not include any highway time. As cool as it was not to have to think about shifting and all that goes with it I did not fall in love with it. I thought it might be a fine commuter bike but since I don’t really commute I thought the range would be too limited to make it practical for me.

Then I watched Long Way Up, the story of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman riding prototypes of the Livewire from the southernmost tip of South America to Los Angeles in 2019.

If they can ride that route (albeit with significant assistance) then surely I can manage Northern Virginia. I discovered a wealth of charging stations suitable for the Harley and concluded I could ride my usual 175 mile weekend loop over the Blue Ridge Mountains on a Livewire.

Harley-Davidson sweetened the deal by sending me an email adding another $2000 on a trade if done by the end of 2020. I visited my local dealer, Patriot H-D, and arranged a real demo ride. I had a very different experience on a short ride that include some highways. I kept the bike in Road mode and could not believe the acceleration. I did not even try Sport mode.

Rode back to the dealer and the sales person that has sold me two other Harleys to arrange the trade in of my 2018 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob (with a Stage 4 Screaming Eagle setup no less) and my 2018 Z900RS Cafe Kawasaki.

I love both of those bikes but I can’t really keep up with riding four let alone five (I know, tough problem to have). Besides, the Fat Bob really performs with the engine modes but it still pales in comparison to the Livewire.

The next day I dropped of the two bikes and rode into the future on my first electric motorcycle.

My first full weekend on the bike more than met my expectations of being able to ride it like my other bikes which means I completed a 140 mile ride on Saturday and my usual 175 mile ride through the hills of Virginia up Highway 211 over the Blue Ridge Mountains, north to Front Royal (the starting/ending point of Skyline Drive) and back home. Most decidedly not a commute.

I started the ride from home with a full Level 1 charge overnight with an indicated range of 105 miles. I rode 30 miles out to a Walmart in Haymarket with an installation of four Level 3 charges from Electrify America to top off. Level 3 charge provides 80% charge in 40 minutes and a full charge in an hour. Level 1 chargers like a home 110 outlet charge at the rate of 13 miles per hour so really meant for overnight. Level 3 is harder on batteries and the guidance is four Level 1 charges to each Level 3 to maintain battery health.

This was my second time using this Electrify America station. They supposedly support NFC and the app does add a card to Apple Wallet but I’ve twice gotten a “no account found” error when trying to use it that way. Phone support (24x7) walked me through how to initiate charging via the app which worked. I submitted the NFC problem via the app and got a call back a few hours later to discuss. They recommended calling them the next time I’m at the charger so they can watch what happens on their end when I try to use NFC. Nice.

I plugged in and made a mobile order at the nearby Starbucks and by the time I walked to Starbucks and back I had 10 minutes until a full charge.

I used InRoute ‎inRoute Route Planner to figure out the mileage from where I topped off to my usual route and back to the charging location and it came out to 114 miles so maybe I could make the loop on a single charge. Maybe.

Next destination was Sperryville, Virginia heading up the mountain over Thornton Gap at 2,460 feet elevation. As it turned out I had a minor head wind on the way to Thornton Gap and I could see the impact on energy usage via one of the widgets on the Livewire TFT display. It was 40 miles of travel but instead of the 60 miles I expected to have when I got to the top of the pass I had 42 miles. I dialed it way back on the ride up compared to how I would normally ride the great turns on this route. I was still passing all the cars but doing it as gently as possible.

The good news was the regeneration I got on the way down. When coming off throttle the system charges the battery, more like engine braking than using the actual brakes. The bike has four different modes with different levels of acceleration and regeneration plus three custom modes. I used Eco mode on this ride to maximize the battery. In Eco mode there is so much regeneration that I barely need to use the excellent Brembo brakes.

I had not used any additional battery due to regeneration by the time I got off the mountain. I had a few miles to go to get back to cellular coverage and a chance to check the mileage to the next way point, Front Royal, Virginia.

I had 38 miles of charge and 25 miles to go. I realized that did not account for the elevation changes, wind, and speed. By this time I knew I was not going to make it back to the fast charger where I started but thanks to the great app PlugShare that can filter based on charge points that have the right connections for the Livewire and show Level 1 and 3 chargers I knew there was a fast charger in Front Royal. The day before this ride I went directly out to Front Royal to check out the free Level 3 charger at the local Chevy dealer. It was really there and really worked. No fee, no signup, not even a sign indicating what it was for. Just pull up, plug in and get a fast charge.

I set the cruise control for 55 and kept passing to a minimum. I made it to Front Royal with 10 miles to spare and grabbed some lunch and then over to the Chevy dealer to get enough juice to get back home (64 miles). I let it charge for 40 minutes while I relaxed under an awning and did some reading at the closed dealership. If I been more comfortable leaving the bike charging in this location I could have walked to lunch and by the time I got back would have had a full charge.

Got back on the bike with 80 miles of charge and took the backroads as much as possible before hitting the speedway that is Interstate 66 for the last 30 miles home. Arrived home with 14 miles left which included some time spent in Sport mode for passing. Hit the mode button on the right hand control twice to go from Eco to Sport, pass, and then tap twice more to get back to Eco mode. The difference between the modes is very noticeable with Sport having much, much more acceleration and less regen when off the throttle than Eco.

I like the H-D Connect app more now that I have a bike that supports the connect features. For the Livewire it is especially nice to see charge status along with security status, mileage and power stats, and all the push notifications related to charging . The app does have its own navigation system which does display directions on the TFT but I’d rather use Apple Maps and have audio via my Sena Bluetooth communicator. I don’t have time to look at the display for directions anyway.

I did have some concerns about the Motor Company’s commitment to electric vehicles. The CEO that pushed for the Livewire was replaced and the new CEO did cut some models. The Livewire was not cut and the marketing has remained prominent, more so with Long Way Up on Apple TV+. But then, I have a history of liking bikes that H-D does not keep around long (XLCR and a XR1200 which has been turned into a modern XLCR).

I was aware of the Long Way series but had not seen any of them. Greatly enjoying Long Way Up each Friday and in between watched the other two series, Long Way Round and Long Way Down, both free on AppleTV+. Surprisingly entertaining.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts