Livewire Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using The Harley Davidson's Electrical Connection Update Kit to connect to P&A connector under the rear shocks would work?

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using The Harley Davidson's Electrical Connection Update Kit to connect to P&A connector under the rear shocks would work?

It probably will, but it's overkill. You'll get a red power wire that has a fuse that you won't be able to use because it connects to the 12V battery on ICE Harley's. The port under the shock is a Molex connector (a bitch to get to) that only has a power wire and ground running to it. I don't know yet if the power wire is switched, but I'm guessing it is not. Other posts suggest there is a way to hook up a three way splitter and get switched power, but I haven't figured out how and nobody has responded to my question of how to do it. Good luck. Rick

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably will, but it's overkill. You'll get a red power wire that has a fuse that you won't be able to use because it connects to the 12V battery on ICE Harley's. The port under the shock is a Molex connector (a bitch to get to) that only has a power wire and ground running to it. I don't know yet if the power wire is switched, but I'm guessing it is not. Other posts suggest there is a way to hook up a three way splitter and get switched power, but I haven't figured out how and nobody has responded to my question of how to do it. Good luck. Rick
Hey @GoldenOldie,

Thanks for your helpful info. I decided to just call Livewire tech support. Great people. They told me that the P&A molex connector below the rear shock is only powered when ignition is on. The harness kit above will work and was recommended. While the "red power wire that has a fuse" included in the kit is not necessary for the Livewire One, it could be used for other purposes if you wanted to run a lead directly from the battery.

As for connecting directly to the battery, they actually told me that this is perfectly fine, contrary to the information saying otherwise, so long as your overall total amp pull for all accessories does not exceed 8 amps and your connection has a fuse. Anything under 8 amps, would not drain the 12v battery faster than the main bike battery would keep it charged.

Cheers!

· Registered
11 Posts
Hey @GoldenOldie,

Thanks for your helpful info. I decided to just call Livewire tech support. Great people. They told me that the P&A molex connector below the rear shock is only powered when ignition is on. The harness kit above will work and was recommended. While the "red power wire that has a fuse" included in the kit is not necessary for the Livewire One, it could be used for other purposes if you wanted to run a lead directly from the battery.

As for connecting directly to the battery, they actually told me that this is perfectly fine, contrary to the information saying otherwise, so long as your overall total amp pull for all accessories does not exceed 8 amps and your connection has a fuse. Anything under 8 amps, would not drain the 12v battery faster than the main bike battery would keep it charged.

Cheers!
Check out the "Heated" thread. Many of them said hooking directly to the 12V battery will void the warranty and kill the batter. I'm using the P&A connector to run heated vest and gloves and I suspect the 12V wouldn't be able to keep up.

I just got the P&A connector out. To get to it, take out the one allen bolt holding the cover and try to prop the cover as far out of the way as you can. You'll see the connector near the bottom of where the cover was. It's held in place with a white plastic locking pin. Push a flat blade screwdriver into the locking pin to hold it open and then pull the plug out. It's a real tight fit to get your hand to it, but it can be done. It has a protective cover that can easily be removed. Then you'll see the four pin Molex connector. Only two pins are used for power and ground. I checked and the tech was right; it is switched. Here's photo the connector after removal and the protective cover removed. Rick
Auto part Automotive design Carbon Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

· Registered
17 Posts
Well Done!!! You've struck gold. Heated gloves, heated jacket, extra loud 2 tone horns needed in London and full on iPhone navigation which is still 100% charged when you get home! I've never tripped 15 amp fuse and I reckon I'm good for another 5 A if I need it - thinking of fitting forward and rear camera recording. There are a couple of wrinkles to making up your own Molex. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help. Regards Rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts