Livewire Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an upcoming ride that I'd like to do from A to B in NZ, distance is just a shade over 160 km (100 miles).

I'll be carrying no luggage, but there is also no time for any weight loss surgery to have an effect :) so one could say, the all-up weight of the rider plus his adipose luggage will be 120kg.

There are zero charging points en route. Like, none.

May I ask: what is the most efficient speed to ride at to get maximum economy over that distance? (I have already programmed a maximum regen option profile but not tested it yet).

Most of the countryside I'll be riding through is extremely rural, until the last 10 kms... And most of it has no cell phone service until the last 10kms.

There is a longer way around, 240 klicks'worth, with a couple of charging stations en route, but I stubbornly decline to go that way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Liquid Black LiveWire One
31 Posts
I would love to see an range vs speed plot. Based off my limited 500 mile (at 200lbs) experience, going 40-55mph through town is close to 50% more efficient than going 70-80mph on the freeway (same mileage, 1 mile per percent charge mostly freeway vs 1.5 miles per percent charge stop and go city). Obviously that means it takes 20% longer to ride. If it matters my riding profile is 100% regen, 60% power, 50% throttle.

I'd wager that at 60-70mph you'd make it but I would definitely do a partial test run.

Side note, I love regen I like to use it to minimize mechanical braking. In case anyone doesn't know, it won't/can't kick in until 98-99%.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm gonna try a test next day off work at (a) max regen (b) similar country (up and down and twisty with some straights) and (c) do my best to stick to 90kmh/55mph max... will let y'all know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Youngun/Oldun (it’s all relative, I may be older)
Here’s my two cents, I did a ride in NorCal (Sonoma / Napa counties) from Fulton CA, to Turtle Rock (kind of a biker destination by Lake Berryessa). All back roads, hills and curves, I rode out petty much at the same speed of the other vehicles on the roads (I passed a couple of cars, mostly tourist looking at the vineyards and wineries), but still at good pace, I arrived at Turtle Rock with 51.6 miles on the trip meter and 57% SOC, I rode back at a good pace with a only a few burst of seed, I arrived back in Fulton with 103.2 miles on the trip meter and 14% SOC.
IF you ride conservatively most of the way, and avoid long stretches of high speed, I think you will have a great ride.
I have done 1mi/0.875% (16%/18.3mi), back roads following traffic (35-55).
I have done 1mi/1.288% (64%/49.7mi), back roads, about 1/4 of the trip was level, long sweepers at higher speeds (80-90mph) 1/4 riding briskly (60-70mph), 1/2 mostly up hill (55-65mph)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! Ride temporarily deferred because the doctor decided some cells have gone rogue so carved a chunk off my face - not a big deal acceptance right where my helmet sits, duh. So, trial temporarily deferred. I will for sure update when I do it! In the meantime, since ungrounded, I remain cross that there is not much to accessorise the LiveWire with :) in which connection, does anyone know (I have not been able to find it online) whether the spinoff LiveWire brand has resulted in backwards compatibility for things that "they" are developing, if indeed "they" are developing anything? I just got paid for an assignment I did a year ago, I'd rather not spend it all on boring things like property taxes and four-wheel-car servicing!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reporting back:

First ride attempt was 176 km from the house to the cottage in Factory Basic Eco mode. Mix of straights, twisties, hills and flats. Ran out of battery at 173 km... lucky the bride was there with the car so I got a 'tow' by using a short stick across the handlebars on a longer rope, going maybe 20km/hr on the last flat stretch.

Second ride attempt was the same 176 km back with a Custom Full Regen mode. This time (and I think I rode the same style / top speed) arrived with 7 km to spare. The extra regen was really noticeable on the steep hills...

·
Registered
2022 Liquid Black LiveWire One
31 Posts
Thanks for the update and all there info you contribute @Oldun and glad you can get that helmet on again! Out of curiosity, what was the regen setting on your first attempt?

Edit: On re-reading your post I see you said factory eco (80%). I would have hoped upping the regen setting 20% would give you more than 1% extra range but maybe that 7km to spare was the computer's conservative estimate?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was a little bit surprised by that myself, but I put it down to what you wrote as well; because on the last run back into town when I knew I'd make it, with hindsight I think I did crank the throttle* more, plus when I was running out of battery life on the first try the bike kept going longer than I thought.

*I know it's not really a throttle, but I grew up with carburettors. I guess I'm gonna have to that change to "I did dial up the amps"...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about that twisty thing on the right. The thing we are twisting is called: “SENSOR, twist grip” P/N 32700050A. It is listed in the H-D parts catalog’s “Alphabetical Index” under the heading:
“Handlebar And Throttle Control”, page 82.
The term “Throttle/Throttling” is used when internet providers and cellular service providers slow your rate of data.
So, like Oldun said I’m going to continue to “crank the throttle” and pour the: amps / watts / electrons or what ever it takes to get the adrenaline flowing.

FYI
The 2016-2017 H-D FXDLS, Dyna Low Rider S, has a throttle by wire (and much to my surprise) uses the same “SENSOR, twist grip” P/N 32700050A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts