Livewire Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

So, downunder I never (had to) charge my very own LW on Level 3, I always charged in the shed overnight i.e. Level 1 / plugged into ye standard power socket.

Now, I have a rental, with no access to a power socket where work has rented me an apartment. I have so far charged it at a charging point for electric bicycles, entirely successfully, as I am only commuting and city-sightseeing on it. A bit of a pain in the proverbial as the nearest such charge point is a 2 km return trip walk away, but what the heck.

This weekend I'll get out and about a bit more, and expect to drain the battery. I know that I should not use Level 3 fast charging more than once every total 4 charges. And I won't, as I don't want to treat a rental differently than my own machine, for battery longevity etc.

Therefore questions please:

• if I fast charge from say 50% to 90%, is that as stressful on the battery as from 10% to 100%, and is the charge recorded the same way in the onboard software? (I assume the rental dealership will check charging patterns).
  • if I slow charge 3 times from 70-95%, am I correct in assuming that does not count / show up in the software as 'charging at Level 1 three times' because it's only a partial charge each time? I'm not trying to cheat, only want to be sure I stick by The Rulez.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
161 Posts
Hello all.

So, downunder I never (had to) charge my very own LW on Level 3, I always charged in the shed overnight i.e. Level 1 / plugged into ye standard power socket.

Now, I have a rental, with no access to a power socket where work has rented me an apartment. I have so far charged it at a charging point for electric bicycles, entirely successfully, as I am only commuting and city-sightseeing on it. A bit of a pain in the proverbial as the nearest such charge point is a 2 km return trip walk away, but what the heck.

This weekend I'll get out and about a bit more, and expect to drain the battery. I know that I should not use Level 3 fast charging more than once every total 4 charges. And I won't, as I don't want to treat a rental differently than my own machine, for battery longevity etc.

Therefore questions please:

• if I fast charge from say 50% to 90%, is that as stressful on the battery as from 10% to 100%, and is the charge recorded the same way in the onboard software? (I assume the rental dealership will check charging patterns).
  • if I slow charge 3 times from 70-95%, am I correct in assuming that does not count / show up in the software as 'charging at Level 1 three times' because it's only a partial charge each time? I'm not trying to cheat, only want to be sure I stick by The Rulez.

Thanks in advance!
I just want to know how they might retrieve this information... 'cause I want it too for my bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I asked at the dealership where I rented the bike. No one knows.

I did however manage to 'borrow' a cable from them and got an hour's worth of charge via an outside unit that did not (and I do not mean this rudely) look as if it had ever been used. They had some trouble getting it switched on.

Interestingly, the charger wall unit you see there has no socket for the OEM underseat charger plug. If the dealership had not had a cable I would have been SOOL.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

I had an afternoon off work and just had fun riding around - until I hit traffic jams. Ah well. (Filtering is not only illegal but apparently there is a huge mobile corps of caged cellphone-photo-snitches who will dob you in if they can snap your plate as you do so).

·
Registered
Livewire
55 Posts
Well, I asked at the dealership where I rented the bike. No one knows.

I did however manage to 'borrow' a cable from them and got an hour's worth of charge via an outside unit that did not (and I do not mean this rudely) look as if it had ever been used. They had some trouble getting it switched on.

Interestingly, the charger wall unit you see there has no socket for the OEM underseat charger plug. If the dealership had not had a cable I would have been SOOL.

View attachment 636

I had an afternoon off work and just had fun riding around - until I hit traffic jams. Ah well. (Filtering is not only illegal but apparently there is a huge mobile corps of caged cellphone-photo-snitches who will dob you in if they can snap your plate as you do so).
Hello, level 1 is the slow charging mode with the underseat cable. Level2 is with this HD wall box on the picture; this format is usual in EU for cars;so currently I'm creating a short cable to have this one under my seat beause I 've this wall box format at my office, but = to level 1 in term of power because controled/limited by the LW ; Level3 is the DC-DC fast charging high voltage solution; no one is communnicating of the reduction of the capacity of the battery after xx charging cycles with this fast charging mode. HD said use it 1 time over4. So, personnaly, except if your are blocked, not using fast charging is nice to postpone the date of the battery capacity reduction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts