Livewire Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a longshot that someone may have tried various helmets with your Livewire and have an opinion on a quiet helmet? I'm riding with a Shoei RF-1200 now (medium sound levels) and looking at a Schuberth as a replacement. They advertise the quietest helmets. But I'd prefer non-salesmen providing opinion(s). I don't need music or a telephone on the bike. I just want to hear a quiet breeze up to around 70 mph.
For background, I don't wear earplugs with my RF-1200, and I have no desire to do so. On the Livewire, even with the decibels of the RF-1200 at speed, I can hear cars/trucks approaching. With earplugs, I cannot. Like professional fireworks operators who are not allowed to wear hearing protection so they can hear a fuse inadvertently lit, earplugs are a no-no to me as well. And yes, I know that goes against a lot of popular opinion.
I love having good hearing, and I'd like a helmet that is as quiet as the Livewire.
Thanks in advance for any insights.
Brad
P.S. I tried on a couple Schuberth C3 Lites at a CycleGear store Sunday, and they didn't have my size (XL). Not really even sure about the differences in models of Schuberth helmets, but I can research that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have long had an Arai Signet 'head' (I bought 3 more Arai helmets when I heard Arai were discontunioing the Signet) - then when those were used up over a decade, I moved to a Shoei MultiTec which had a equally good fit. When Shoei moved to the NeoTec I reckon they changed the pattern, so I stocked up on 2 MultiTecs. Reason I'm writing this is that I tried helmets from the Schuberth range because of its internal sunvisor; but for my braincase at any rate the Schuberth fit is quite different from the Arai fit. Of course YMMV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Oldun. I agree that the helmets, even within a brand, fit differently. The Arai helmets I've tried do not fit my head well, but Shoei helmets generally do. The available Schuberth was L and XXL in the store. L felt like my head was stuffed in a small balloon; XXL was loose. They don't have a XL, yet, but they indicated I can try one on when it arrives. They were all the Schuberth C3 Lite. One thig I can say about the L version is that all noise in the store silenced when I closed it all up on my head. Even the salesman was mouthing something I couldn't hear. Had to take it off to ask what he was saying. He was a rather quiet guy. Regardless, I appreciate all insights on helmets. The Shoei RF-1200 is a great helmet. I just want something quieter.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
96 Posts
I have (since the ELW) replaced my half with a Sena Momentum EVO I don't have a HUGE amount of experience with a full face, as I road nearly 30 years with mostly a half ('less it was raining)... but, the old HDMC branded (actual unknown) is pretty loud (whistle from under the helmet), the half, holy crap and the Momentum EVO is pretty decent.

It fits well (I wear a M) and blocks a decent amount of noise coming from under the helmet.

It's "supposed to" have (some) noise cancelation built into it... although that is probably only the case when it's on.

I bought it primarily so I could have the comms built into the helmet, I don't like protrusions or attachments.

However, despite all that, I've yet to find a perfectly quiet one - I always where earplugs.
BUT... if the volume is all the way up, I can hear the comms (music, calls, whatever) perfect, with absolutely no problems.

So, knowing I wear earplugs all the time to keep the whistle down, I can now hear only my comms and the high pitches like, sirens, horns, the bike's whir... but pretty much NO road noise which is the worst now that we have a near silent bike.

When I'm at a stop, it can be difficult to hear a person from another vehicle at 4-6ft... but, the comms do have a pass through which can help... although cumbersome to activate so I rarely bother.

Overall... it's a simple helmet, with a basic tech that is nice to have without looking like I've attached every gadget I own to the outside of it.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I also hate logos except HDs, so I plasti dipped mine to personalize it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have (since the ELW) replaced my half with a Sena Momentum EVO I don't have a HUGE amount of experience with a full face, as I road nearly 30 years with mostly a half ('less it was raining)... but, the old HDMC branded (actual unknown) is pretty loud (whistle from under the helmet), the half, holy crap and the Momentum EVO is pretty decent.

It fits well (I wear a M) and blocks a decent amount of noise coming from under the helmet.

It's "supposed to" have (some) noise cancelation built into it... although that is probably only the case when it's on.

I bought it primarily so I could have the comms built into the helmet, I don't like protrusions or attachments.

However, despite all that, I've yet to find a perfectly quiet one - I always where earplugs.
BUT... if the volume is all the way up, I can hear the comms (music, calls, whatever) perfect, with absolutely no problems.

So, knowing I wear earplugs all the time to keep the whistle down, I can now hear only my comms and the high pitches like, sirens, horns, the bike's whir... but pretty much NO road noise which is the worst now that we have a near silent bike.

When I'm at a stop, it can be difficult to hear a person from another vehicle at 4-6ft... but, the comms do have a pass through which can help... although cumbersome to activate so I rarely bother.

Overall... it's a simple helmet, with a basic tech that is nice to have without looking like I've attached every gadget I own to the outside of it.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I also hate logos except HDs, so I plasti dipped mine to personalize it.
Any chance you can share a pic of your plasti dipped customization? That sounds cool. From what I can find on the web, the Schuberth C3 Pro seems like the quietest truly tested helmet I can find. But not available in Savannah, GA to try on. That’s small town life for you.

I’m trying to negotiate a better price with Revzilla now. There’s a legitimate outfit in the UK that sells helmets slightly cheaper, good return policy... my only real beef with the C3 Pro is it looks so bland. That dipping might help? But then again, matte black seems to match the Livewire well. That’s what my Shoei RF-1200 is, and it looks nice.

I just really like the idea of riding a near silent motorcycle with a quiet helmet.

This continues to be an internal fight, as I bought the shield for the RF-1200 that tints in the sun ($200), and the helmet doesn’t have a scratch. It’s just not very quiet once you hit 40-50 mph. I think I’m damaging my hearing as I’m determined not to wear ear plugs. Maybe stupid on my part, but I like hearing the vehicles around me.

Thank you for the response. I know my question is likely not a concern to many, but it has me debating and debating (internally) as to replacing a perfectly good helmet.

One thing I did decide was not to buy the $900 Schuberth C4 Pro with the cool checkerboard fiberglass pattern. Love the look but why even try to upstage the Livewire with a nicer glossy helmet? Not to mention the price with plug in com system is well over $1,000.

Lastly, all I used to wear was a half helmet. I own 4. But now that I commute to work on the bike on a stretch of highway surrounded by water and wetlands, I can’t take all the bugs. Feels like it’s raining all the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I missed the link to the pics in my first post, now edited...

That smiley face is hilarious! I want to draw one on my Humana (insurance provider) green face mask so people think I'm always smiling. Good work on the helmet. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Just pulled the trigger on a Schuberth C3 Pro matte black. Revzilla negotiated to where I wanted, and I like their return policy. Added the Hi Vis Yellow shield, as they indicated if I don't like it, they will gladly accept a return on the visor (and helmet, but I have no intention of returning the helmet). As for the shield, Lasik eye surgery a few years ago helped my day vision a lot, but I see stars when hit by bright lights at night, so I'm hoping the Hi Vis yellow will help with that. Maybe?

I'll add one more post to this thread after I've had time to ride with it to let the Livewire gang who have interest know how it manages wind noise. I have no windshield, just the tiny one made for the Livewire, so wind will be direct.

Review pending...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
REVIEW of SCHBERTH C3 PRO:
(A friend*) Just took a ride with a new Schuberth C3 Pro, and these are follow-up non-scientific conclusions:
1) Conditions today are 23mph sustained westward winds, with gusts approaching 40mph pushing all directions.
2) After (my friend*) passing local police, hit what is called Veteran's Parkway, a long, wide-open stretch of newly paved highway running over rivers and along wetlands (scenic).
3) At 80mph before realizing (55mph speed limit, don't ask why???), the helmet was stable even with the wind whipping around.
4) At 100mph, still stable and comfortable, although wind pushing bike, but not really helmet.
5) Turned around after several miles, and headed directly against the prevailing 23mph wind, and hit 110mph, still comfortable and reasonably stable. Wind effect more about pulling rider off bike than issues with helmet. Sat upright whole ride to make sure helmet was completely in wind. Combined wind approximately 133mph with 23mph headwind.
6) Slowed to 60mph for a few miles, could whisper in helmet and hear clearly, and could hear all vehicles approaching and passing. Can't confirm 82db as advertised at that speed, but very quiet (claim seems true).
7) Then passed all vehicles that previously passed, and slowed to 80mph in 23mph headwind, still comfortable. Again, bike pushed around more than helmet.
8) Obviously subjective, would state (friend's*) Shoei RF-1200 at 55mph equals approximate sound levels of tested helmet at 80mph with additional headwinds. On still day, suspect it's much quieter.
9) Only concern might be ventilation, good on cool day. Likely good mornings and evenings (commute times) even in summer, but might revert to brain bucket and Etymotic earbuds with foam tips for relaxing hot summer midday rides.*
10) Conclusion, KEEPER!!!

*The law is the law, and told friend (inside voice) he should respect it. But alas, my friend loved the helmet. :)

*ADDENDUM: Schuberth North America contacted me to let me know the chin curtain can be removed for better airflow in warm weather. They sent a PDF of the owners manual and pointed to the page were the Velcro chin curtain attachment/detachment instructions are located. The page was in Italian, but I found the English instructions in the PDF easily enough. Very impressive responsiveness. I've volunteered to be in their new helmet test group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts