Livewire Forums banner

Range vs speed.

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Derkz 
I have nothing amazing to reveal here. My longest ride starting out with 100% was 103 mi (166 km), with 14% remaining. If I had taken it down to 2% like Oldun, I believe that would have been 117 mi (188 km).
This was riding on non freeway, two lane roads, riding with traffic, mostly +/- 50 mph (80 kph) only accelerating a couple times to pass cars, not all of it was on flat ground, there were some hills.
And like Oldun, no luggage. I tuck down a lot, at anything over 40 mph (65 km), not only when I’m going for speed (I’m usually going for distance, DC chargers are few and far between where I usually ride, and L1 chargers are almost useless when your trying to compete a longer ride in one day). Don’t get me wrong, I like the esthetics of the Livewire, but somebody has to do something about the drag coefficient, because the Livewire is about as aerodynamic as a brick, so I do what I can with my body regarding frontal area.

I started to Write about battery temperature and range, because it drops off noticeably in cooler weather. but I think I will try to start another thread, unless someone beats me to it.

I agree, if H-D / Livewire or who ever, is supposedly trying to build an E-motorcycle that is marketable, than they would want to improve upon their existing E-motorcycle. And one would logically think that they would be actively looking for input from those who have real world experience using their existing E-motorcycle.

I can see no evidence of such inquiries.
Which suggests to me that the agenda they are projecting, is a little different than the agenda they are hiding.

It seems they should be collecting information on the existing product so that they can improve on their next generation of E-motorcycles, which would afford their hyping the next gen as “new and improved.”

But with all the data they are able to collect from the H-D / Livewire app, maybe they have figured out that it’s more reliable and way less complicated than eliciting info from a living, breathing life form. Like Joe Friday used to say on the old Dragnet series: “just the facts, Ma’am”, I realize, I need to remember that saying, because my post are way too long.

If their agenda includes keeping everyone in the dark, then they have at least accomplished this portion of their agenda.

The only thing I find useful about the app is the ability to check the SOC remotely. Some times during charging the charging gets interrupted, stops and does not restart, being able to check the charging remotely is a plus.
I’m not tech savvy, so this assessment of the app is not an expert opinion, but I find the app to be very clumsy and slow. The SOC reading is only updated periodically, at unpredictable intervals.
If the cell service is weak or nonexistent then the app is obviously useless, which is in fact the case on most of the routes I ride. Fortunately if your using is a public, pay for charger, there is usually an adequate cell signal.

I have nothing amazing to reveal here. My longest ride starting out with 100%, took me 103 mi (166 km), with 14% remaining. If I had taken it down to 2% like Oldun did, that would have been 117 mi (188 km). This was riding non freeway, two lane roads, riding with traffic, mostly +/- 50 mph (80 kph) only passing cars a couple of times, not all of it was on flat ground, some hills.

Seems like we are getting about the same range, when comparing highway rides.
I Started a ride with 100% for an 62mi ride / 52mi highway at 65-75 mph / 10mi surface streets at 25-45 mph, ended with 24% left.

Thank you for your track days, range info. Your range of about 60mi of hard riding sounds in line with a review I’ve seen. When after the reviewer had tested the range riding conservatively, he then said something like: “let’s see how far it will go when ridden hard”, he wiped it pretty good, and he got (if I remember correctly) 67mi.

When I charge on L1, it usually takes 6.5-7.5 minutes to gain 1%. When you do your 4 sessions at the track, I’m assuming that you’re charging 3 times on L1, for about an 1 hour each time, if so your charging about 180 min. divided by 7min. Per 1% = about 26%. If that’s true, your estimate of 20mi added with L1 charging, seems to be about what I’ve seen.