Livewire Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Supposedly the pack is an 15kW pack. So that puts a full recharge at about 2.5 hrs if going from 0-100%. Or looking at another way, basically on my typical usage, I can reclaim 40 miles of range for every hour of charging. Or about 40% per hour as well. That is a no brainer for me.

I'll just put a Nema 14-50 on the end then I can use it in many places. Lot of those at campgrounds, tracks etc. I already have a 50 amp circuit with a Nema 14-50 outlet. I can do 40 amps continuous with will still charge one of my Teslas at about 9kW which is better than the mobile charger of about 6kW and I can then do a moderately fast, and less stressful than high output L3 on the LW.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I by NO MEANS am good at math, but doesn't 6kW (on the high end) seem more like 4.6 - 5hrs?
granted, that's nothing to smirk at, considering the typical 11-12 hrs.
Oh show your work then! :) I have no idea. I assumed 13 KW of usable battery and variable slowing speed? But if there is a better way to understand. I would assume the slop off is not the same as with the 22kw I get at a public charger. I presume it holds the 6 most of the time? varying with temp and charge state etc etc.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
255 Posts
Oh show your work then! :) I have no idea. I assumed 13 KW of usable battery and variable slowing speed? But if there is a better way to understand. I would assume the slop off is not the same as with the 22kw I get at a public charger. I presume it holds the 6 most of the time? varying with temp and charge state etc etc.
ok, not sure where I went wrong.
I typically hover on the 110/120 at 1.3kW

So, 15/1.3 is 11.5 (which seems accurate)
and so does 15/6 :D
/palm face

·
Registered
118 Posts
well, charging is not a linear science :)
looking at a few CCS charging graphs, the first 15-20 minutes are done at 22kwh and then it slides down to about 9-10 when the battery warms up. for an 90% charge in about 40minutes
at 6Kw, if the temperature does not get too high, you could in theory charger 15kw RESS in 2.5 IF the temperature control does not drop the rate.
considering the CCS charging never dropped below 8 in my last 10 charges, I believe that at 6kw,it would charge full capacity in (15÷6) in said 2.5 hours which is not bad at all actually

·
Registered
9 Posts
enough arguing,
here's the info straight from the Service manuals:
View attachment 1195
Hahaha oh man that is phrased SO POORLY on their part. I apologize, no wonder y'all are confused. Let me break it down because I can totally understand why it's so easy to misinterpret.

First part describes the charge inlet itself aka the charge port. Inside the charge inlet is the pilot (CP), proximity (PP), locking motor (clampy lock servo doodad), and the combo coupler (CCS housing). This inlet is rated for use with DC Fast Charge Stations which have a rated output of min 200vdc to max 500vdc at 200 amps max.

All of this describes absolutely NOTHING about the capabilities of the battery. This is just describing what the inlet is rated to handle, and then it describes some basic industry standards. After going all descriptive on the inlet capabilities, they go super vague on the battery's charge rates as dictated by the Charge Table and BMS.

"The RESS accepts and stores HV energy from the OBC or external DC fast charger during charging."

That is technically correct but soooo vague. They go through all the motions of describing what the plug is rated to handle, and then say "THEN IT CHARGE BATTERY" with nothing more. To be clear, the LiveWire is set up to request no more than 80 amps at any point during the charge process. There will be at least one or more high voltage charge fuses down the line, probably 100 amps or so that will just pop if it goes over that value. Again, the LiveWire's voltage range is ~240-300vdc. You cannot put more than that into it.

Here's a really good video that shows the voltage and amperage breakdown during a typical charge process. I've timestamped it to the relevant part, but if that doesn't work then skip to 1:05.

Or, to put it another way:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts