Livewire Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
I hope the connection is stable given all the issues with the public charging system. Be really cool if this was a real option for slow level 3. Looking forward to hearing what your performance is like.
This unit does not mesh with or replace L3. It takes the juice from L2's and converts it to L3 to overcome the limits of vehicles with a small L2 onboard charger. I am using it with a Chevy Spark EV, which has a pathetic 3.3Kw L2 onboard. This makes for extremely slow L2 charging. The Setec unit allows me to take everything a 7kw L2 station can put out, stuffing it into the L3 pins on the vehicle instead of the slow L2 pins. It is no replacement for real L3, but more than doubles my L2 charging speeds.

· Super Moderator
392 Posts
But have you tested on the LW yet? I don't know if the spark is as picky as the LW is about L3 charging connections. Oddly I did have my dad's leaf fail at the free airport L2 charging. But I presume that could have been poorly maintained charging stations.

· Registered
13 Posts
But have you tested on the LW yet? I don't know if the spark is as picky as the LW is about L3 charging connections. Oddly I did have my dad's leaf fail at the free airport L2 charging. But I presume that could have been poorly maintained charging stations.
No, I do not know anybody with a LW right now to test it with.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I don't know what happened to Setec. They've gone silent or maybe closed down for some holiday. I've been trying for several days to get the 10kW charger ordered without luck.

The weather has been good enough that I can ride quite a bit each day and the slow L1/L2 charging is really irritating me again. It was about 70F today and a lot of fun to ride.

They told me about a week to build, another week to ship to the US from the time I ordered. So maybe, if they come back online so to speak, I might have it by the end of the month.

· Registered
13 Posts
I don't know what happened to Setec. They've gone silent or maybe closed down for some holiday. I've been trying for several days to get the 10kW charger ordered without luck.

The weather has been good enough that I can ride quite a bit each day and the slow L1/L2 charging is really irritating me again. It was about 70F today and a lot of fun to ride.

They told me about a week to build, another week to ship to the US from the time I ordered. So maybe, if they come back online so to speak, I might have it by the end of the month.
Chinese new years. I got some parts from them a couple of weeks ago, so they are alive & well. I talked with Angel day before yesterday.

These dcfc's are a side gig for them, so there can be a week at times with delayed communication.

· Registered
10 Posts
Check this out

This looks promising for fast charging at home. It's says coming soon.

· Registered
13 Posts
Check this out

This looks promising for fast charging at home. It's says coming soon.
It does, but they have been teasing it now for about 3 years. I am on their email list for information, but cricket's about when it's going to be available. 🫤

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Looks interesting but probably will cost more than it is worth to me. The LW is just a specific use case I am trying to find a solution for at a price point that is worth it to me.

If it has faster L2 charging, I'd be happy, even if it I had to give up L3 charging. This is not a bike I plan to ride 500 miles in a day. The Experia would be a much better option for something like that.

The lack of fast L2 charging is my main area of buyer's remorse about the bike. That and the crappy rear shock annoys me more every day.

· Super Moderator
392 Posts
Looks interesting but probably will cost more than it is worth to me. The LW is just a specific use case I am trying to find a solution for at a price point that is worth it to me.

If it has faster L2 charging, I'd be happy, even if it I had to give up L3 charging. This is not a bike I plan to ride 500 miles in a day. The Experia would be a much better option for something like that.

The lack of fast L2 charging is my main area of buyer's remorse about the bike. That and the crappy rear shock annoys me more every day.
Grumpy Grumpy! My guess is the DelMar will better fit your use case if the range is good enough. I think it would have me for sure though because of the PNW the full rain fenders are possibly a good thing.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Heard back from Setec, Should have it ordered soon.

I like how the LW looks better than the DelMar. Also it is an unknown quantity at this point. Pretty much most of the warts of the LW are well known by now. There is a lot to like about the bike and I find it I ride it despite its flaws far more than my other bikes (if the range is enough).

As soon as there is a better shock available for it, I am replacing mine. The slow L3 charger will resolve my other complaint. With any luck I'll be using it by the end of the month.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
This unit does not mesh with or replace L3. It takes the juice from L2's and converts it to L3 to overcome the limits of vehicles with a small L2 onboard charger. I am using it with a Chevy Spark EV, which has a pathetic 3.3Kw L2 onboard. This makes for extremely slow L2 charging. The Setec unit allows me to take everything a 7kw L2 station can put out, stuffing it into the L3 pins on the vehicle instead of the slow L2 pins. It is no replacement for real L3, but more than doubles my L2 charging speeds.
My Setec is finally being built and with any luck I might have it next week. Did you wire yours with a NEMA- 14-50 plug on it? If so, what one did you use?

I am excited to finally get this and try it out of the weather will stay enough above freezing to ride.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts