Livewire Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent years Harley-Davidson Motor Company has seen sales begin to wane. They are not quite declining; nevertheless, they are certainly not seeing the progress they would like. Like all reputable and long-standing businesses, it is their job to evolve the company to meet progressive demands in order to stay competitive, as well as to preserve the institution’s future. One study suggests: “Global demographics-more young people with less money to spend-are forging big changes at the iconic firm.” Traditional enthusiasts argue that while this might be true it should not come at the cost of the integrity of the brand nor to the loyalty of those who have stood by the company from the outset.
http://guardianlv.com/2014/08/harley-davidson-motor-company-from-electric-bikes-to-hemp-chaps/

While no one can credibly say the MoCo was in significant decline the cold hard truth is that their core clientele is aging and the stock is simply not being replenished fast enough. The younger generation does not want to be defined the same way their fathers did which brings up an important generational dichotomy.

Can old and new co exist?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think that any company has to be ready to evolve and grow with the times. Even old companies need to seem like they are new, young and vibrant. Seeming like an old company is basically waiting to die.

Examples I will give are Blockbuster or typewriter companies. Blockbuster should have done something like Netflix and type writer companies should have embraced the PC instead of continuing to peddle typewriters.

Change with the times or it'll be the end of you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think its about transitioning from the old customer base to the new without alienating either. I'm sure it's a difficult task to balance the two. I'd be interested to hear about examples of other companies who have done this, successfully or not, in the past.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tough to say if they can co-exists, maybe they can, but when it comes to a company like HD, i think that's a tough one, since the livewire is one REALLY new school product.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thats whats interesting about the dichotomy. The bread and butter of the entire Harley empire is based on the old, but they cannot ramp up the new school to equal the old as it heads out the door.

The two will obviously be combative, its not simply about redefining yourself when the elephant in the room is the cash cow...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ther'es likely to be a period of unprofitability, might be a grea top to snag shares...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts