Livewire Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A safety recall for the Livewire was issued by Harley Davidson on 2020-10-15. Check your HD Connect app for details. Information attached..

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
Contacting my dealer now to see how this will work, primarily will they be coming to Savannah to get the bike or expecting me to bring it there?

Edit:
Correction, Savannah dealership stated they could NOT perform the recall fix, as only certified Livewire dealerships are allowed to perform the software update. So now I press-on to get my bike back to Florida...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer I purchased from called to let me know about this (a few days after I noticed it on the app), but I had a bad experience there for my first service and called a closer one (they didn't have Livewires when I bought mine), they are 'waiting on the USB from Harley'.
So, good news: it's an easy fix? 🙏
Bad news is they 'won't have it for a while'...wtf?
Also, they did not say anything like 'don't ride the bike' or 'we will have it brought in'...like...how serious is this?😅

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer I purchased from called to let me know about this (a few days after I noticed it on the app), but I had a bad experience there for my first service and called a closer one (they didn't have Livewires when I bought mine), they are 'waiting on the USB from Harley'.
So, good news: it's an easy fix? 🙏
Bad news is they 'won't have it for a while'...wtf?
Also, they did not say anything like 'don't ride the bike' or 'we will have it brought in'...like...how serious is this?😅
Just be sure that dealer is a certified HD Livewire dealer. Waiting on a USB? The update is just a file sent to dealers computers. If they told you they are waiting on a USB I would not trust them at all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
No USB, just the download info. This dealership is a certified Livewire business and I have been going there for over 20+ years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm lucky and with a good dealership. The firmware on mine was upgraded last week before they dropped it off at my front door (well, rear bike shed).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm lucky and with a good dealership. The firmware on mine was upgraded last week before they dropped it off at my front door (well, rear bike shed).
The firmware has nothing to do with the safety recall. The recall is for an issue affecting the bike to cause it to stop running. The notice is at my post above on this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I did send the dealer the notice attached at the top and the rung me to say they'd done it before they dropped the bike off last week. I used the term firmware, they didn't, my mistake.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up!
Contacting my dealer now to see how this will work, primarily will they be coming to Savannah to get the bike or expecting me to bring it there?

Edit:
Correction, Savannah dealership stated they could NOT perform the recall fix, as only certified Livewire dealerships are allowed to perform the software update. So now I press-on to get my bike back to Florida...
Have you had the recall done? This is a safety recall so your dealer is required by law to pick your bike up if you don't feel safe riding it as per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Recall number 0176 begins on October 19, 2020, and owners will be notified by mail between October 22 and 29. Owners of the affected units will be invited to make an appointment with their Harley-Davidson dealer to have their motorcycle’s software updated free of charge. Owners have the option of riding the vehicle to the dealer or having it picked up and returned, also free of charge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Jacksonville H-D dealership just performed the recall work this morning, and they're hauling my bike back to Savannah tomorrow. They didn't hesitate offering to come and get it. Now, if I can only talk the Savannah H-D dealership into selling Livewires...(deep, guttural laughter with hands ringing...)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Jacksonville H-D dealership just performed the recall work this morning, and they're hauling my bike back to Savannah tomorrow. They didn't hesitate offering to come and get it. Now, if I can only talk the Savannah H-D dealership into selling Livewires...(deep, guttural laughter with hands ringing...)
As big a sales flop the Livewire is don't expect Savannah HD to start selling them. It's at least a 50K investment on dealers to sell the Livewire and just to have them sitting on the sales floor not a wise investment. As it is HD has only built 1012 Livewires so far!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've spoken with dealerships that are Livewire certified but have no Livewires to sell. St. Augustine, FL had a Livewire event last Saturday, allowing test rides and such. They had 4 active bikes and 3 more in the store (mine came from that store). I heard the overall investment was even higher to get going with the Livewire, and Savannah was on the list. Savannah management indicated the cost was more than they were ready to bear, for now. Savannah is probably more of a traditional ICE crowd, but the 5,000-ish SCAD students in the area will likely eat-up the mid-size H-D electric, when released. SCAD students are generally from wealthy families. As for my Livewire, the Savannah mechanics liked it last Saturday the 1-1/2 hours it was in their garage. It's expected to return home tomorrow, like a faithful dog.
BTW, that Livewire build number, where did it come from?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've spoken with dealerships that are Livewire certified but have no Livewires to sell. St. Augustine, FL had a Livewire event last Saturday, allowing test rides and such. They had 4 active bikes and 3 more in the store (mine came from that store). I heard the overall investment was even higher to get going with the Livewire, and Savannah was on the list. Savannah management indicated the cost was more than they were ready to bear, for now. Savannah is probably more of a traditional ICE crowd, but the 5,000-ish SCAD students in the area will likely eat-up the mid-size H-D electric, when released. SCAD students are generally from wealthy families. As for my Livewire, the Savannah mechanics liked it last Saturday the 1-1/2 hours it was in their garage. It's expected to return home tomorrow, like a faithful dog.
BTW, that Livewire build number, where did it come from?
The build number is from the documentation submitted to the NHTSA on the recall by Harley.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had my update done by the NZ dealership boss in person, last night. I had confused earlier in this thread the update v the recall. He drove 4 hours to my place to hook up the USB & upload the changes, and showed me how to verify the upload on the screen setting menu. Outstanding after-sales service IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Harley is going to shut down about 200 dealers in the next year, or so I been told.

i am loosing my favorite dealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harley is going to shut down about 200 dealers in the next year, or so I been told.

i am loosing my favorite dealer.
Over 50 have shut down this year due to pandemic and slow sales.The t-shirt salesman, the new CEO, has visions of HD being a premium brand.Just hope for the best!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I read that 1,012 Livewires were recalled, but no mention of the total produced to date. H-D VIN scheme include 1HD2XAEB0LB801751 (mine, manufactured in early 2020), 1HD2XAEB2LB800911, 1HD2XAEBXLB800803, 1HD2XAEB8LB801366... The last 6 digits are serial numbers. I have no real idea where H-D is in Livewire manufacturing, but I suspect it's past 1,012.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts