Livewire Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, less than 4 days, and I will be a new owner of a Harley Davidson Livewire... Orange fuze. Brand new. 0km.

I'm so exciting...

And the best part is ; I don't even have my license yet.
It is an amazing project, and I can buy it now, store it, learn a lot, take time to appreciate and be excited even more. Until the day I will ride it.

Anyway ;)
I live in Quebec, winter can be cold as F. -30..40°C

I will store my dear Livewire, under my balcony, I've got a nice place for her.
But it is still outside. Snow, rain won't come on it, but the temperature yes.
If I put a big special motorbike cover on her, do you think it will be ok ?
Checking the battery sometime...

Any advice. For those who don't have a garage ?

Thanks dear.

Adam, a crazy new owner...soon. D-4.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get a good all weather cover, even with it being stored under the balcony. A well designed one should have a vent(s) so that it breathes and doesn’t encourage condensation — that’s where you will have problems. Be mindful of your state of charge throughout the winter — do not let it get to low. Keep it in the range (70-30%) specified by the LiveWire manual.

The cold Quebec temperatures that you provided are still within the LiveWire storage temperature range. See below, from the manual.

Smile Font Circle Number Rectangle

In my youth as a renter, I used to store motorcycles outside under cover. When I got older, I would rent storage units. In my middle age, I am fortunate to have a climate controlled garage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tcypher is 100% correct, bring it inside!
I used to bring my 1995 Honda Magna inside a studio apartment. I'd leave it halfway in the doorway as the exhaust cleared out, then push it all the way in. Sure, I couldn't pull down my murphy bed. And I had to have a refrigerator box under it just in case. But I slept next to it on the couch never concerned about moisture or vandalism. It was safe in a climate controlled environment.
With the Livewire, you can do exactly as suggested and clean off the tires and ride it right in. No exhaust issues, and it looks great inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, less than 4 days, and I will be a new owner of a Harley Davidson Livewire... Orange fuze. Brand new. 0km.

I'm so exciting...

And the best part is ; I don't even have my license yet.
It is an amazing project, and I can buy it now, store it, learn a lot, take time to appreciate and be excited even more. Until the day I will ride it.

Anyway ;)
I live in Quebec, winter can be cold as F. -30..40°C

I will store my dear Livewire, under my balcony, I've got a nice place for her.
But it is still outside. Snow, rain won't come on it, but the temperature yes.
If I put a big special motorbike cover on her, do you think it will be ok ?
Checking the battery sometime...

Any advice. For those who don't have a garage ?

Thanks dear.

Adam, a crazy new owner...soon. D-4.
Congrats. As stated previously, you must maintain a charge on the battery. I think you need to plug it in once a month to top it off, though I forget what the manual says. In you house/apart is the answer. Outside in the cold may ruin your battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the charge only needs to be between 30-70%.
the RESS will (should - is supposed to) keep the 12v happy and topped off.

if the 12v dies, you could put the second on a trickle 'till they suss out why it failed to trickle charge from the RESS.
That is correct for short term storage. My manual lists a different for long term, which I assume winter would entail. It says start above 70%, and then recharge before it gets below 30%. However, a bigger question is, whether it is prudent to buy an ev prior to when you are able to ride it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, but this year, before the construction of the little cabin I've got in mind, it will not be possible to put my Livewire inside.
So, it will have to be under my big balcony, under cover, next to a plug to charge it when needed...
Anything to protect it before winter ?
Any thought ?
About some waxing or...?

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
254 Posts
That is correct for short term storage. My manual lists a different for long term, which I assume winter would entail. It says start above 70%, and then recharge before it gets below 30%. However, a bigger question is, whether it is prudent to buy an ev prior to when you are able to ride it.
do it!

I don't live in a typically "freezing" location (Seattle), but it gets well below 0 F while riding and below 20 F standing outside and I bought mine in October.

I've only had maybe a month of snow (total since then) where I couldn't ride.

I did take a two week Vaca in 2020 and it didn't drop a single % during that time.

I'll be curious to see how quickly it drops to even close to 30% over an assumed 3-6 month winter (being broad since climates are different everywhere.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks guys, but this year, before the construction of the little cabin I've got in mind, it will not be possible to put my Livewire inside.
So, it will have to be under my big balcony, under cover, next to a plug to charge it when needed...
Any thought ?
About some waxing or...?
you shouldn't need anything but an outlet.

I might suggest a fire proof blanket that does not generate static during dry winter weather... no electronic likes static.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any thought ?
About some waxing or...?
My Livewire spent last winter in a cold detached garage on Cape Cod, MA (nearly 5 months), where lowest temps went down to -8F but generally dipped nightly around 20F. It was fine. I'd still recommend riding it at least once a month if not twice, just as an added means of "tendering" the little 12 volt battery and to give you an excuse to give it a little charge now and then. As others stated (and per the manual) I kept it between 30% and 70% charged. It was completely fine. No issues whatsoever.

I think the suggestion for "a fire proof blanket that does not generate static during dry winter weather... no electronic likes static" is a good idea. A mover left one of those nylon quilted blankets behind, and it seems like a great option maybe under a HD motorcycle cover. The cloth ones will likely create static, and I think that's a valid concern. I'd add that I had mine parked on a plastic HD kickstand puck, so nothing metal touched concrete.

Ironically, I'm about to move back to Florida where my Livewire came from (retail store anyway). Aside from retirees driving 80 mph and no curvy mountain roads, it's a great place to own a motorcycle.

Brad

P.S. After nearly two years of trying to get the attention of any HD engineer involved in the creation of the Livewire, one walked up to me on Cape Cod and went off about all they did designing it. He was enamored seeing it and told me a bunch of stuff only an HD engineer would know. His summary: it was the most advanced HD they ever conceived, and with parts far better than any HD sold to date. They spec'd these machines right!

·
Registered
254 Posts
re: ride it once a month, if you can't get on the road due to ice or snow, grab a stand and spin it up for a while. sadly, you won't be able to use cruise ('cause both wheels have to be moving) but you can use a tie of sorts... I used a flexi Bungie during my hyper mile test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts