Livewire Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
In the past year, I nearly never run into a Tesla destination charger in the northeastern United States. I stayed at one hotel that had exclusively Tesla destination chargers and that’s it.

I keep a Tesla adapter in the Taycan, just in case, but CCS and J1772 options have opened up so rapidly that there’s never been a need.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As a Tesla owner, opening up their Supercharger (SC) network in the US is a horrible idea. In some areas I already have to wait, sometimes a long time, to get my car into charge. This is just going to make it worse. The SC network was one of the main reasons I bought my S over a Taycan, besides the fact Porsche can't figure out how to do one pedal driving on it. The SC network is a huge competitive advantage they are just throwing it away.

Not to mention the SC locations aren't always in the best places from a security perspective and I can't say I'd like to stand around my LW waiting for it to charge. It isn't like you can do a 10-15 min blast on a Tesla and pick up an easy 100 miles, you are likely going to be standing around for the better part of 30 min to get any decent range added.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As a Tesla owner, opening up their Supercharger (SC) network in the US is a horrible idea. In some areas I already have to wait, sometimes a long time, to get my car into charge. This is just going to make it worse. The SC network was one of the main reasons I bought my S over a Taycan, besides the fact Porsche can't figure out how to do one pedal driving on it. The SC network is a huge competitive advantage they are just throwing it away.

Not to mention the SC locations aren't always in the best places from a security perspective and I can't say I'd like to stand around my LW waiting for it to charge. It isn't like you can do a 10-15 min blast on a Tesla and pick up an easy 100 miles, you are likely going to be standing around for the better part of 30 min to get any decent range added.
Porsche's coast implementation is fantastic and their brake blending is the best in the business. There is no substitute. The Taycan charges significantly faster than anything that Tesla makes, often twice as fast. On top of that, my Taycan 4S outperforms the EPA range by 17%, even with those big gorgeous 21" Mission E wheels -- something that zero Teslas are able to do, because Tesla range numbers are BS.

The SC network is not the advantage that it was 3-4 years ago. As you noted, the waits are ridiculous. In the past six months, I've put 20k miles on my Taycan through 14 states and not once did I wish that I was at a Tesla Supercharger. And yes, I have driven the S,X,3. I have a few thousand miles behind the wheel of a Model 3. Our Mini Cooper SE is a better car and built better than anything Tesla makes.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Tesla is opening up their charger network, because it's the only way for them to get access to those taxpayer dollars. Tesla would be perfectly happy with exclusively overcharging their locked-in customers. Overcharging? Tesla is charging customers 2-3x for their chargers compared to Electrify America in most markets. Given the price disparity, I would not expect a flood of CCS EVs at Tesla superchargers.

Further, Tesla's 400V Superchargers would restrict me to 150kw charging in the Taycan. With the availability of modern 350kw 800V charging, on the basis of speed and cost, I would only use a Tesla Supercharger as a last resort. With the Porsche, I have free Electrify America charging for 2.5 more years. Also, I still have a long ways to go before I burn through the free 500kwh that came with my LiveWire.

I've got a DC CCS charger about a mile from my house. In the northeastern US, new ones are popping up every month in useful places like shopping centers, Walmarts, and gas stations. I am all for multiple options and like the idea that Tesla will be another option, but if I have an alternative, I will be using that before I give that charlatan Elon Musk another dime.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm fine with one pedal driving though I understand the advantage of separating the functions into different pedals. I didn't buy the car to track so it works well in my commute and the ability to have it start braking as soon as I have lifted off the accelerator has prevented an accident already. EA chargers are hit or miss in my area. I make frequent trips between our houses in FL and TX and the route I go on has no EA chargers at all. The cars can only charge as fast as the available chargers. So an 800V architecture is worthless unless there are enough chargers to support the cars.

Not to mention the charge tapering that goes on anyway as you increase the charge level. For the most part I don't spend more than 15-20 min on a charger anyway when I use ABRP. While my S doesn't meet it claimed range levels, it is pretty close. Considering most of the time I am driving in the 80's with the AC on, I get about 320-340 miles typically. I never run down to 0% and usually stop at 5-10% if going home. I didn't go with the 21's as no real advantage to them in my driving and they are heavier. Our Model 3 gets pretty close to its rated range. Our lifetime avg is about 225 wh/mi. Our Y was the glutton at about 305 wh/mi and I think currently the S is at about 268 wh/mi.

Most of the time I rarely use SCs anyway. At home you are constrained by your L2 chargers anyway. If were going cross country a lot, I'd use a diesel car or Prius rather than any electric from a cost per mile perspective and be able to cover a lot of miles on a tank of fuel.

So far I've been pretty happy with the 3 & S, more so than the Y. Only advantage to the Y was the ability to tow in the US with no warranty impact. Hard to beat the performance of the current S for the money; either version. Tesla has done a lot of good things with how they update capabilities fairly frequently but they yoke was a terrible idea. As soon as their was a replacement, I swapped that POS out. I like how often Tesla does approach things in a simple way. Porsche going with a 2 speed transmission added complexity and possible reliability issues (still early to tell on that part) for not a huge amount of benefit. I've had enough Porsches in my lifetime to appreciate their good and bad. I am looking for about a simple a drivetrain as possible.

Like they say, different stroke for different folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts