Livewire Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my hands on a Livewire over the weekend for an extended test ride. I currently own a 2017 Road Glide (Stage 4 and Hot Rod Red). Love the Road Glide and bought it with the intentions of taking long weekend vacations with the wife. Turns out she isn’t comfortable talking long rides (I was rear ended several years ago, so I‘m sure that weighs on her) so we haven’t been riding the bike on long trips, rather it’s short date trips around town.

I drive a Tesla as my daily driver so I have been very intrigued by the EV motorcycle‘s. At first I was repulsed by the price of the Livewire. I have been comparing the bike to a Zero and couldn’t see why/how it could cost so much.....and then I drove it. Here is my opinion on the bike:

• Range - Not a problem at all for me. As long as you don’t get on the interstate, I found you could ride for a couple hours without ’Range Anxiety’. Perfect bike for riding out in the country or city cruising.
  • Charging - This is probably my only complaint. I wish it had Level 2 charging. After a long ride it would be nice to be able to fully charge the bike at home in a couple hours rather than the 8-10 hours it actually takes. In addition, there are far many more Level 2 chargers in my area than Level 3’s. Even though I complain about not having Level 2 charging, I never actually found myself waiting on the bike to charge up. In the long run, Level 3 charging may be the way to go.
  • The Ride - Absolutely fantastic! Loved it. I‘m 6’3” and felt reasonably comfortable. The seat could be a little better but thats pretty standard. The bike handled better than anything I have ever ridden. Even thought the Zero handles well, you can tell that the Livewire is more refined.
  • User Interface - I found the Touch Screen very easy to use. Loved how you could Bluetooth your phone and have the GPS and Music display on the touchscreen. The hand controls are the same as any other Harley (nicely done).
  • Storage - Having no storage at all is a bummer. I guess at some point Harley will make a tank bag for it.
After I took the bike back to the Harley dealer I visited the Zero dealer. All of the sudden, the Zero bike didn’t look near as appealing as it once did. Yes the Zero is a cheaper, but once you look and ride the bikes side by side you can tell the difference ($8k difference is debatable). The Zero’s do have Level 2 charging and a great storage compartment under the tank. But after riding the Livewire, those things didnt seem to matter to me anymore. Now I have to decide if I want to give up the Road Glide (which overall Is more flexible) for a Livewire (cant swing 2 bikes right now). UGH! So stressed! :):cool:

Would love to hear of others who have transitioned from a touring bike to a LiveWire. Especially if the LiveWire is your only bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was able to get my hands on a Livewire over the weekend for an extended test ride. I currently own a 2017 Road Glide (Stage 4 and Hot Rod Red). Love the Road Glide and bought it with the intentions of taking long weekend vacations with the wife. Turns out she isn’t comfortable talking long rides (I was rear ended several years ago, so I‘m sure that weighs on her) so we haven’t been riding the bike on long trips, rather it’s short date trips around town.

I drive a Tesla as my daily driver so I have been very intrigued by the EV motorcycle‘s. At first I was repulsed by the price of the Livewire. I have been comparing the bike to a Zero and couldn’t see why/how it could cost so much.....and then I drove it. Here is my opinion on the bike:

• Range - Not a problem at all for me. As long as you don’t get on the interstate, I found you could ride for a couple hours without ’Range Anxiety’. Perfect bike for riding out in the country or city cruising.
  • Charging - This is probably my only complaint. I wish it had Level 2 charging. After a long ride it would be nice to be able to fully charge the bike at home in a couple hours rather than the 8-10 hours it actually takes. In addition, there are far many more Level 2 chargers in my area than Level 3’s. Even though I complain about not having Level 2 charging, I never actually found myself waiting on the bike to charge up. In the long run, Level 3 charging may be the way to go.
  • The Ride - Absolutely fantastic! Loved it. I‘m 6’3” and felt reasonably comfortable. The seat could be a little better but thats pretty standard. The bike handled better than anything I have ever ridden. Even thought the Zero handles well, you can tell that the Livewire is more refined.
  • User Interface - I found the Touch Screen very easy to use. Loved how you could Bluetooth your phone and have the GPS and Music display on the touchscreen. The hand controls are the same as any other Harley (nicely done).
  • Storage - Having no storage at all is a bummer. I guess at some point Harley will make a tank bag for it.
After I took the bike back to the Harley dealer I visited the Zero dealer. All of the sudden, the Zero bike didn’t look near as appealing as it once did. Yes the Zero is a cheaper, but once you look and ride the bikes side by side you can tell the difference ($8k difference is debatable). The Zero’s do have Level 2 charging and a great storage compartment under the tank. But after riding the Livewire, those things didnt seem to matter to me anymore. Now I have to decide if I want to give up the Road Glide (which overall Is more flexible) for a Livewire (cant swing 2 bikes right now). UGH! So stressed! :):cool:

Would love to hear of others who have transitioned from a touring bike to a LiveWire. Especially if the LiveWire is your only bike.
Glad you enjoyed your ride. As I've stated in one of your other posts I traded in my 16" CVO Road Glide for my LW. Also stated to one of your other posts I rather have Level 3 over Level 2 charging. Which ever bike you get, Zero or LW, it's your decision so you'll be happy with either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you enjoyed your ride. As I've stated in one of your other posts I traded in my 16" CVO Road Glide for my LW. Also stated to one of your other posts I rather have Level 3 over Level 2 charging. Which ever bike you get, Zero or LW, it's your decision so you'll be happy with either.
Do you miss your Road Glide at all?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you miss your Road Glide at all?
Not at all. I'm not planning anymore iron butt rides, did two on my RG, so most of my riding is city and short rides. The LW is perfect now and I beat all my touring friends at each light when the light turns green!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I traded my 2017 Road King Special for the LiveWire. My Road King also has a stage 4 114 kit, made 123hp and 117 ft lbs at the rear tire.... I don’t miss it at all, the LiveWire is just so much fun for daily use!

·
Registered
46 Posts
oh, this is such a difficult one. my answer depends on the day you ask me! I have an Indian Roadmaster but don't take long trips (family with kids keeps me local), but I still love getting on it and just cruising around. It also comes in handy for running errands when items fit in the bags. I have a few other bikes too, but I can definitely say that if i could only have 2 bikes, it would be the RM and the livewire. Make it work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone hearing any rumors on 2021 models? I am hoping to see L2 charging.
No rumors yet. We will know more when the new models are announced later this year. HD plans to move away from the August intro of new models to closer to the start of the riding season. With the new CEO planning to reduce output to create more exclusivity don't expect much to happen to the Livewire.

If you do get a LW don't expect your wife to join you. It's been stated by many riders 2 up riding reduces range significantly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Amen, Crilly! My Colombian wife told me to buy a H-D (culture down there), but turns out she only likes to ride around locally on roads with low speeds. It's fine. The Livewire makes for a nice quiet ride, and she only wants to ride it for about an hour any given day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts