commentator is funny thinking bad things don't occasionally happen to everyone in a life span.
At first I thought it was coolant (from the radiator cap) 'cause it wasn't lingering like smoke, but then saw the small flame toward the end of the vid - less it was just a combo and the flame was my imagination.
Actually kinda surprised (shouldn't be it's FL)... that the "safety" people aren't wearing more face and hand gear in case hazardous chemicals start spraying from the seams... I'm mean, if "smoke" can escape under pressure, why not whatever makes up a L.I.B.?
I recon in 1903 there would have been a similar incident with the ICE variant, guess thats why the general populous is fearful of riding motorcycles.
On the positive side this will be a catalyst for emergency services to take EV's seriously and do more training on them.
Hopefully the H-D / emergency services investigation will be transparent.
I will be scrutinising my LW with enthusiasm around this issue.
Well... 45+ years ago when I was riding motorcycles with kick starters and drum brakes, and flying hangliders without helmets or safety chutes, and dating hippie chicks because they were always grateful for a restaurant-bought meal - we had what would now be called a 'meme', which was - "If it has wings, wheels, or a skirt, it will cause you trouble. And many things that don't, will too."
I guess we can update that to read - "If it has wheels, batteries, or a skirt, it will cause you trouble. And many things that don't, will too."
Purchasing a mobile phone today, let alone an electric vehicle of any kind, presents some risk due to current battery technology. Then again, so does having a tank of gas sitting in your garage in a car or bike with a battery. Lots can and does go wrong there. I personally believe purchasing a Livewire is participating in a bold move toward progress - a great step for a traditional minded, major industrial player like Harley Davidson. I fully support leading edge technologies and have personally spent my life in that area. The right thing - I am actually waiting for, is to see a formal press response from HD to demonstrate their awareness and deep study of this particular case - and any future case that threatens their customers safety and property. HD needs to report what happened and let us know what we should or should not do, if it is (or even if it is not) any different than our operation manuals indicate. My own good friend had his Samsung phone exploded into flames in his pocket after he had dropped it (same battery technology). and Tesla and others have burned a few cars and private property. However, as long as these companies push forward with a responsible effort to design for safe use, and openly share understanding of the faults and how to correct them, we are all in an excellent place in history. Supporting, and enjoying these cool and greatly beneficial products is our journey to the new frontier. So now... HD, what's the news on this for your loyal customers!