Livewire Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to way more traction under my feet on my two wheeled vehicles. Anything I should consider with swapping these?

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
I put Giles footrests on mine (UF-23-KIT).

I used the same mounting joint as for a BMW S1000RR. The Livewire footrest spring has a different end than the BMW, so I drilled the mounting joint to accept the Livewire spring, and....

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Crankset

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
Not sure I have the setup to do the drilling. You remember what sized but you used?

But now that I see the price I think I will work my way up to those...
I hand drilled them at the track. It was easy to do with a good bit and patience. I was in a hurry though, so I just picked the bit that matched the spring diameter. I didnt look at the size but it only needs to be big enough to insert the end of the spring in, like the stock footrest.

The Giles are fully adjustable for forward angle.

And they are grippy.

Quality does cone at a price., though yes I did get them at a discounted price through California Superbike School

· Registered
132 Posts
Most won’t fit because the peg brackets and not identical on both sides.
One side is a regular peg bracket, the other is closed on the bottom side, preventing the installation of a lot of aftermarket ones :-(

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt have problems on the street, with riding boots on stock pedals.

But, I do want to push some limits in riding the Livewire....
They are smaller then I thought but clearly with clearance in mind. I like the larger width and curve. Though part of me thought a flat platform would be good. I can see how these would let me move around but still have good connection to the bike. How the spring setup isn't too hard.

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
They are smaller then I thought but clearly with clearance in mind. I like the larger width and curve. Though part of me thought a flat platform would be good. I can see how these would let me move around but still have good connection to the bike. How the spring setup isn't too hard.
It isn't hard.

Do one side at a time and take a couple of pics as you disassemble, if you need.

Set up one new peg to match the angles of the peg you are working on, but don't bolt it together. Take a look at the spring end hole position, and pick a fresh sharp drill bit that matches the size of the hole. (Use a new drill bit, you will be glad you did.) Take apart the Giles rest, hold the Giles base on a smooth hard surface like a wood block, and carefully start your hole. A spring punch can help for a starter mark. (You can look at the path of the footrest mounting pin, and use the edge of that pin as a guideline for the position of the hole.) Keep your drill perpendicular and drill the hole in stages, wiping off chips, until it is just deep enough to accept the spring end.

Don't press hard while drilling. A sharp bit will drill fine. And it is a small bit, so it's easy to snap if you pressure it and tilt your drill.

The hardest part is probably popping off the footrest retainer clip, and reinserting it, without it flying and losing it. :)

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh thanks for that. I kinda want to build a relationship with the shop just up the hill from me. So I am gonna let him do it. He was like I don't work on Harley's. "Metric Cycles" but I was like I don't got an engine I just need support for tires and suspension etc. So we will see. He is like a smaller machine and welding shop so I figure it will be easy enough for him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts