Livewire Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had the TC kick in a few times with slip on wet or cold metal. But I just discovered that it can engage pre slip. I don't know if it is trying to prevent wheelies or what. I have had the sensation of being in the wrong gear. Whacking the throttle and getting much less push then the bike can do. Maybe in these first 2200 miles this has happened 4 times. I got blessed with a sunny afternoon on the holiday yesterday so did a fun 60 mile loop in the hills. Pulling out on to a highway I lean the bike over and cranked the throttle and got a meh reaction. I happen to have the dash in my peripheral vision and saw the tc light blinking. It might have been around 40 degrees out. But there was no wheel spin just preempted it. I ride with the TC at minimum meaning full nanny mode. (check our manual stupid AF) So there are some conditions where with doesn't wait to sense slip. It just decides no I am not gonna give you that. And instead of giving you lots it gives you a little gentle roll on... Not great that this is such a black box. One reason I guess when spring comes I will be backing this setting off a bit.

· Registered
221 Posts
In general, electric motors are much easier to "manage" than ICE. It may have already detected wheelspin or slippage that you weren't aware of. I can offer a comparison with one of my Teslas and an ICE car (FWD) driven on similar roads. I was entering onto a road where I needed to accelerate fairly quickly to merge with traffic with our Model S. I gave it a lot of throttle and it felt like compared to normal, it was barely accelerating. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the car.

A little bit later I had a chance to get on it and it seemed normal. I returned home and all seemed normal for the rest of the drive. My wife took out the S and I needed to run a quick errand. I got in our son's car (FWD and maybe about 180HP (on a good day). I entered onto the same road where I had to merge fairly quickly. Fortunately there wasn't as much traffic as soon as I gave it any throttle I got a massive amount of wheelspin at first and then the traction control light flashing like crazy.

I really had no idea it was that slick as the Tesla managed the extremely low traction condition without even a hint of slippage.

Interesting read about traction control for EVs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts