Livewire Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few weeks of toiling away on my 2nd ELW, I have successfully (and test rode) with the Pan America (PA) steering head, forks, laced wheel, brakes and rotors. I still have to get the new brakes lined in, but I'm waiting for the laced rear wheel to come in and attempt to mount it as well. I'm quite proud of the result so far, however I have much further to go! I have to custom make all the brackets to house the headlight, blinkers, and TFT screen. This is will still take me a few more months to complete. I still plan on documenting everything on my YouTube channel, however I know there are some that enjoy reading, so I'll briefly describe what all I've done so far. I'm not a mechanic, engineer or the like - just a guy with a vision and an eagerness to take on the challenge. Also CAD, 3D printers, and some woodworking tools have helped ;)

Installed PA steering head - surprisingly the PA and the ELW have the same steering bearings, which made the swap essentially one for one, except for the fork stops on the PA lower clamp assembly. I used an angle grinder and Dremel to fine tune those stops to fit the mounting head on the ELW. This required me to continuously mount/unmount the steering clamps until I had the clearance to install the full assembly. Even after I installed the forks, the initial turning radius was horrendous, however it just needed some fine tuning with the Dremel, and now the turning radius is quite similar to a stock ELW.

Once the clamps were installed, the forks, wheel and brakes came next. At the moment, I'm having an alignment issue with the left fork and the axle, which is causing the brake to not want to mount properly on the rotor. The first few threads in the lower fork assembly are stripped, I think it may have been caused when I first mounted the tire, however I'll likely resolve that after the holidays - not an issue with compatibility, just me being a dumbass/tired.

Adding the PA forks has increased ride height by 2 inches.

Handlebar and Risers - the risers are the stock PA ones, I have some extended ones, however I can't mount those until I get the brake line extended. The wiring harness going through the handlebar was a pain to rewire, as I had to buy a 1inch to 1 1/4 inch shim to mount the ELW handlebar on the PA risers. I had to completely disassemble the control modules to unplug the wires, remove them, install the shim and handlebar, then reroute the wiring - it's a tight fit and not something I want to do again in the future. For those of you that are looking at raising the handlebars, the wiring harness for the controls, TFT, etc - is about 30 inches long and are zip tied on the left side underneath the black air induction plastic - so you actually have quite a bit of wiring playroom to raise your handlebars. I would say 2 inches, maybe 3 without having to extend the brake line. I have some ROX 2.5 inch risers that I could mount on my stock ELW to see if those work as a solution. Either way, the new handlebar position is quite nice, and compliments my foot peg forward brackets.

Moving Foot Pegs 3inches forward, .5 inch down - I've been playing with CAD for a few years now, but in the woodworking and furniture design space, so hoping over to Fusion 360 to design some part concepts didn't take me long. For the last year or so, I've been toying with the idea of moving the footpegs back to the rear for a better standing position on the pegs, however after talking with some ADV riders, moving them forward would be better for control off-road. This also meant I wouldn't have to extend the rear brake line as well. I prototyped several different versions, and had the final two prototypes custom made from .5in 6061 aluminum and they are quite sturdy. It's hard to see them in this picture, I believe I have other pictures on my community tab on my YouTube channel.

So far, the riding position is quite neutral with the handlebars - however it is a little awkward with my feet on the ground, as the footpegs are now directly beneath my knees, so I either have to stick my legs further out or go behind/in front of the pegs. Not sure if I need to come back a little with them, or if I just need to get used to the new position.

The other prototype, which was also fabricated from 6061 alum, drops the footpegs 2 inches, and forward 3 - however I haven't mounted them yet. The left side does get in the way of the jiffy stand coming all the way back up to hit the 'up' sensor, so I'll have to come up with a rig to trip the sensor (or loop the wiring). However it's not urgent at this time test out. I could try it out on my stock ELW, but again no rush.

That's pretty much it for now, I'll be taking the next week or so off from modifying the bike - I still need to design the mounting hardware, although I don't think that will take me too long, but I will have to wait for the fabrication company to get it to me (sendcutsend).

Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments below! Happy Holidays!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

· Registered
217 Posts
One good thing is the Pan America is pretty hefty. So likely your dampening rates & springs might be pretty close for the LW.

Definitely interested in seeing how your pegs turn out. That is something I'd likely do just for normal street riding.

· Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
311 Posts
I'm very curious how the power (if fully applied) will affect the laced rear wheel. while I want both front and rear wheel laced rims as well, I've been told the power from the EV could possibly damage them.

while safety is paramount, would you feel comfortable running with one front break for aesthetics?

· Registered
217 Posts
I think it would come down to how much actually gets transmitted to the wheel itself. If the tire doesn't have a lot of grip, unlikely to be an issue. Put a big, fat, sticky tire on it and likely to have a lot more issues. Offroad is unlikely to be an issue.

· Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
311 Posts
I think it would come down to how much actually gets transmitted to the wheel itself. If the tire doesn't have a lot of grip, unlikely to be an issue. Put a big, fat, sticky tire on it and likely to have a lot more issues. Offroad is unlikely to be an issue.
I like them due to their classic appearance more as I'm taking mine in a "Cafe" direction.

I'd also like full 360 Avon style rubber!

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm very curious how the power (if fully applied) will affect the laced rear wheel. while I want both front and rear wheel laced rims as well, I've been told the power from the EV could possibly damage them.

while safety is paramount, would you feel comfortable running with one front break for aesthetics?
I have a KTM 500 with a single rotor... Brembos... Brakes are good, but bike is only 300 lbs...

LiveWire is significantly heavier.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Interesting and I have no idea. Considering other electric motorcycles have laced wheels, I'm not sure it would be an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts