Livewire Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Livewire have an avail USB port to charge my phone while riding? Any good aftermarket solutions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi & welcome

This article shows inn a pic 2/3 of the way down where the USB port is... not at all obvious unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi & welcome

This article shows inn a pic 2/3 of the way down where the USB port is... not at all obvious unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Not so obvious. I rigged one up (pro car/moto audio place) from the 12v to the left handlebar so it’s an easy plugin when I mount my iPhone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you! Not so obvious. I rigged one up (pro car/moto audio place) from the 12v to the left handlebar so it’s an easy plugin when I mount my iPhone.
You may not know but adding any extra load or accessories running off the 12v battery will void the warranty on that battery. The 12v battery is the weakest part of the Livewire and lots of folks have had that battery fail. One person is on their 3rd replacement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Really useful to know that Mike. Being 4+ hours away from my dealer I am trying to be very careful without being excessively paranoid :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've definitely noticed that there isn't a lot of power coming from the 12v battery through the USB-C connection to my iPhone 12. Leaving the phone screen on using navigation for example will flatten your phone's battery even though it is receiving a 'charge'. Anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did not know that, but I don't ride with a phone hooked up... too distracting, and I'm already a 24/7 slave to my phone when on duty.

Perhaps that issue (= low power to the USB socket) is why, as part of my 'new owner' pack, the dealer gave me a portable HD power pack... wonder if any owners out there got 'gifted' one?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've definitely noticed that there isn't a lot of power coming from the 12v battery through the USB-C connection to my iPhone 12. Leaving the phone screen on using navigation for example will flatten your phone's battery even though it is receiving a 'charge'. Anyone else notice that?
That issue has been mentioned before by other owners. I feel the 12v battery is the weak point of the Livewire.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did not know that, but I don't ride with a phone hooked up... too distracting, and I'm already a 24/7 slave to my phone when on duty.

Perhaps that issue (= low power to the USB socket) is why, as part of my 'new owner' pack, the dealer gave me a portable HD power pack... wonder if any owners out there got 'gifted' one?
You have a good dealer! All I got was a free t-shirt! LOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am in the process of installing a Quad Lock phone holder/charger. I know it works, but I am not sure if it will supply enough power for charging and GPS (too cold to ride).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Harley knows. Harley corporate added a USB-A to my Livewire in February 2020 because it didn't give enough power to charge a phone and run their HD Connect app while riding from Orlando to Daytona. I actually ended the ride with an almost dead phone and while "supercharging" at the Daytona dealer's Chargepoint I barely got enough charge through the USB-C to use the phone without the HD Connect running. (Latest and greatest at the time iphone 11 pro max) Dave at Harley set me up. PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts