Livewire Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi & welcome

This article shows inn a pic 2/3 of the way down where the USB port is... not at all obvious unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi & welcome

This article shows inn a pic 2/3 of the way down where the USB port is... not at all obvious unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thank you! Not so obvious. I rigged one up (pro car/moto audio place) from the 12v to the left handlebar so it’s an easy plugin when I mount my iPhone.
You may not know but adding any extra load or accessories running off the 12v battery will void the warranty on that battery. The 12v battery is the weakest part of the Livewire and lots of folks have had that battery fail. One person is on their 3rd replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've definitely noticed that there isn't a lot of power coming from the 12v battery through the USB-C connection to my iPhone 12. Leaving the phone screen on using navigation for example will flatten your phone's battery even though it is receiving a 'charge'. Anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did not know that, but I don't ride with a phone hooked up... too distracting, and I'm already a 24/7 slave to my phone when on duty.

Perhaps that issue (= low power to the USB socket) is why, as part of my 'new owner' pack, the dealer gave me a portable HD power pack... wonder if any owners out there got 'gifted' one?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've definitely noticed that there isn't a lot of power coming from the 12v battery through the USB-C connection to my iPhone 12. Leaving the phone screen on using navigation for example will flatten your phone's battery even though it is receiving a 'charge'. Anyone else notice that?
That issue has been mentioned before by other owners. I feel the 12v battery is the weak point of the Livewire.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did not know that, but I don't ride with a phone hooked up... too distracting, and I'm already a 24/7 slave to my phone when on duty.

Perhaps that issue (= low power to the USB socket) is why, as part of my 'new owner' pack, the dealer gave me a portable HD power pack... wonder if any owners out there got 'gifted' one?
You have a good dealer! All I got was a free t-shirt! LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Harley knows. Harley corporate added a USB-A to my Livewire in February 2020 because it didn't give enough power to charge a phone and run their HD Connect app while riding from Orlando to Daytona. I actually ended the ride with an almost dead phone and while "supercharging" at the Daytona dealer's Chargepoint I barely got enough charge through the USB-C to use the phone without the HD Connect running. (Latest and greatest at the time iphone 11 pro max) Dave at Harley set me up. PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi guys,
New owner of a livewire 2020 here… Search for a few hours about the USB-C port and to my dismay, I can‘t get it to either turn on my quad lock charger or even give power to a Samsung Galaxy phone :-( is there a special trick to turn the USB port on?

·
Registered
48 Posts
One day a couple weeks ago, I couldn't get mine to work either. Since then, it's worked every time I've plugged it in. Like some other issues, no rhyme or reason. It just depends on the day.
I try to make an effort to not plug in the iPhone until I've pressed start, but I can't be certain this makes any difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Forget the USB port :)
Buy the Harley accessory pig tail, cut the grey 6pin female connector, you'll be left with 3 wires, red (battery 12V, violet (accessory 12v), black ground.
Find a MX150 molex male connector (3 pin, weatherproof) available at digikey for about 5$ shipping included)
ground pin goes in the middle, violet goes to the right or pin 1 when the tip of the connector is on top looked at from the wire side
hook the connector to the P&A port under the seat, right under the plastic box between shock and RESS.
et voila, 13V clean, 15amps capacity to hook your phone charger or heated vest, etc (max 15amps tho)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Menoche. Thank you so much for this info - it's exactly what I wanted! I picked up my LiveWire yesterday, and I want to quickly prep it for a London winter. I'm looking at adding heated inner gloves, full power charging for iPhone as I use is it for navigation and that does hit the battery. Clearly I'm new to the LiveWire and forums. I'm guilty of rushing projects on my bikes and I don't want to make a mistake with this one. Is there any chance I could send you a couple of questions so I can exactly know what I'm doing using the P&A port? Thanks Rod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forget the USB port :)
Buy the Harley accessory pig tail, cut the grey 6pin female connector, you'll be left with 3 wires, red (battery 12V, violet (accessory 12v), black ground.
Find a MX150 molex male connector (3 pin, weatherproof) available at digikey for about 5$ shipping included)
ground pin goes in the middle, violet goes to the right or pin 1 when the tip of the connector is on top looked at from the wire side
hook the connector to the P&A port under the seat, right under the plastic box between shock and RESS.
et voila, 13V clean, 15amps capacity to hook your phone charger or heated vest, etc (max 15amps tho)
Is "P&A" short for Power & Accessories? Where is this port getting its power from - direct from the Dc to DC?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.