Livewire Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Super Moderator
392 Posts
Simply because the battery is very small and slow charging. The heated gear will draw more current from the energy than the charging system will provide and will deplete the battery.
you have to connect to the accessory port under the seat, behind the RESS to get a 12V converted from the RESS.
Is this the supported way to do this? I asked some tech at my Harley Dealer and he thought I was insane. Anyway to find a document that says to do it this way? I tried email LW support and got a sad answer.

· Registered
23 Posts
Is this the supported way to do this? I asked some tech at my Harley Dealer and he thought I was insane. Anyway to find a document that says to do it this way? I tried email LW support and got a sad answer.

Just got this guidance from LiveWire. I asked about how they recommend powering heated gear and/or a radar detector:

"As far as extra power, there is an accessory connector towards the back of the bike that can allow power up to 10 amps (12 volts DC)."

· Registered
134 Posts
because most techs are not aware there is a 12V accessory connecter just for that. look at the diagram earlier in this thread, all the info is there :)

· Super Moderator
392 Posts

These look right? Now if I am just going to connect in my quadlock charger I would either need a plug for one of these standard ports or just to wire directly to the molex pins. Might be good to have installed standard Harley plugs for resale. But I think I am trying to not do the heated gloves. Maybe I am dumb.

Then do I need a special tool to install the pins?

· Registered
7 Posts
Molex MX-150 Series, 3-Position Male Connector (Black) (customdynamics.com)

Molex MX-150 Series, Male Pin (customdynamics.com)

I have this coming in a few days to hook up some additional lighting off the accessory plug. I did my best to explain to their customer service on what I was trying to do and these were the parts they recommended. Good find on that Amazon set up. I'm going to have about 97 male pin plugs extra to get all the parts needed. Right now I'm only looking to make one connection for the lights. I can post up how it goes once all the parts get here and I have time to install. Might be a few weeks with the holidays and all.

· Registered
23 Posts

These look right? Now if I am just going to connect in my quadlock charger I would either need a plug for one of these standard ports or just to wire directly to the molex pins. Might be good to have installed standard Harley plugs for resale. But I think I am trying to not do the heated gloves. Maybe I am dumb.

Then do I need a special tool to install the pins?
The pins push in to the housing. Tool for crimping is helpful.

· Registered
11 Posts
No. It's attached to the bottom of that black plastic cover. It's awkward to get to… but I have connected into it via a Molex 150 3 pin connector. It is totally different now I have real 12 volts -15 amp supply. I can post some pictures to show you what I've done?
I've got my connectors, but can't get the black plastic cover off to access the 12V connector. I've taken out the one allen bolt, but the cover won't come out because of the brake lines and rear shock. How the heck did you get to the connector? Thanks. Rick

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi Rick. Yes it is incredibly frustrating to get at this connector… but believe me it's really worth it. It's a while back now but I do remember removing the bolt that holds the plastic housing in place, then I think I used something to twist and hold the plastic housing back so I could get a little more room to work. I remember leaning over the seat a lot and feeling with fingers rather than looking.
The connector has a cover over the socket - again I'm not sure about what I did but I think it has a little retaining clip which you either push or pull up which then exposes the socket. I left the socket attached to the plastic housing and made up the plug from specific bits from HD dealer. Have you seen my post about fitting everything?

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi Rick. Yes it is incredibly frustrating to get at this connector… but believe me it's really worth it. It's a while back now but I do remember removing the bolt that holds the plastic housing in place, then I think I used something to twist and hold the plastic housing back so I could get a little more room to work. I remember leaning over the seat a lot and feeling with fingers rather than looking.
The connector has a cover over the socket - again I'm not sure about what I did but I think it has a little retaining clip which you either push or pull up which then exposes the socket. I left the socket attached to the plastic housing and made up the plug from specific bits from HD dealer. Have you seen my post about fitting everything?
Thanks. Yes. I've read over all the posts numerous times in both this thread and the "heated" thread in addition to watching way too many YouTube videos trying to understand the process and connectors. I've got the Y connector, Molex connector and the crimp tool. I still don't understand the need for the Y connector since it obviously doesn't connect to the Molex connector. Is there another P & A connector that the Y connector hooks up to? Makes sense that you used something to hold the cover. I just didn't know if anyone got it out. Rick

· Registered
10 Posts
Molex connector: 0334810301 Molex | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey
This one does not come with the pins tho.

pigtail:
Switched Circuit Adapter Harness PN 70264-94A,
mating connector 72511-07BK and terminals 72169-07.

Do NOT CONNECT to the live 12V.. only to the switched one (purple cable)
What's your thoughts on using Harley Davidson's Electrical Connection Update Kit? It has a three-pin molex connector that may or may not fit the P&A connector under the rear shocks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Using the parts in post # 6, I was able to hook up my lights. Figuring out the Molex three pin took some time. I inserted the pins as far as I could and it wasn't making a connection. I finally figured out that if I pulled the pin with some needle nose pliers, than I could get them to sit. The Amazon kit might work if you do it right the first time. I was happy to have the 100 pins as back up; as I went through about five experimenting. I also bought a fancy crimper and found out it really didn't work on the small gauge needed for this set up. A decent set of needle nose pliers worked fine. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Registered
11 Posts
Using the parts in post # 6, I was able to hook up my lights. Figuring out the Molex three pin took some time. I inserted the pins as far as I could and it wasn't making a connection. I finally figured out that if I pulled the pin with some needle nose pliers, than I could get them to sit. The Amazon kit might work if you do it right the first time. I was happy to have the 100 pins as back up; as I went through about five experimenting. I also bought a fancy crimper and found out it really didn't work on the small gauge needed for this set up. A decent set of needle nose pliers worked fine. View attachment 1371 View attachment 1372
Just got done hooking up my Molex connector. The trick is to make sure the outside diameter of the wire is small enough to fit into the connector because the pin has to be pushed further into the connector than you would think. Once the pins click into place all you have to do is push the inside down until it clicks. The crimper from Amazon worked great (for me). I only had four pins to work with. Rick

· Registered
11 Posts
Just got done hooking up my Molex connector. The trick is to make sure the outside diameter of the wire is small enough to fit into the connector because the pin has to be pushed further into the connector than you would think. Once the pins click into place all you have to do is push the inside down until it clicks. The crimper from Amazon worked great (for me). I only had four pins to work with. Rick
Finally got the plug completed for my heated vest and gloves. Now if I can find the perfect windscreen, it will complete for winter riding. Rick

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

41 - 55 of 55 Posts