Livewire Forums banner

USB heated grips

807 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Wavshrdr
I really don't have time to deal with the hassle of wiring in heated grips for the relatively limited time I'd really need to use them. As luck would have it, I remembered some I bought for a similar situation and slapped them on the LW. OMG - what a difference.

These might be the same ones as I have but the markings are long gone. I bought them years ago and they are still working now. Might be some better options with more heating levels but I'll say these have been durable and easy to put with a USB battery pack in my tail bag. They don't look bad on the bike either.

Just putting it out there for the other lazy or lack of time to work on their bikes people. For the LW it works out very well in the sense that you don't need a giant battery pack to run these for as long as you can ride the LW on a charge.

Reactions: 5
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I really don't have time to deal with the hassle of wiring in heated grips for the relatively limited time I'd really need to use them. As luck would have it, I remembered some I bought for a similar situation and slapped them on the LW. OMG - what a difference.

These might be the same ones as I have but the markings are long gone. I bought them years ago and they are still working now. Might be some better options with more heating levels but I'll say these have been durable and easy to put with a USB battery pack in my tail bag. They don't look bad on the bike either.

Just putting it out there for the other lazy or lack of time to work on their bikes people. For the LW it works out very well in the sense that you don't need a giant battery pack to run these for as long as you can ride the LW on a charge.

That's a pretty smart solution!

How well do they work with gloves on? Can't imagine using them as the main warmth when riding in the winter. But, if they heat through my gloves, then awesome!
Mine are too hot to wear without gloves. I used them as the main heat source for my hands on a lot of bikes. I bought them about 4 or 5 years ago. You can buy them on amazon and if they don't work out, return them. I did pickup some handguards and hippo hands and with these grip heaters, I am more than toasty warm.
Reactions: 2
It is a practical and cheap solution to one of the biggest problems right now but I think buying heated gloves is a more practical solution, isn't it?
As heated gloves just need to charge and don't affect the battery and we can use them for other purposes as well.
It is a practical and cheap solution to one of the biggest problems right now but I think buying heated gloves is a more practical solution, isn't it?
As heated gloves just need to charge and don't affect the battery and we can use them for other purposes as well.
I have heated gloves and liners and while they are not battery powered and work great, they make grabbing and controlling the throttle and levers more difficult.

so, I don't wear them unless I absolutely have to.
Reactions: 1
The beauty of these grip heaters is just using a USB powerbank. No impact on the bike's 12v battery. Easily remove when not needed. I've used them on several different motorcycles and even an ebike that I commute sometimes to work on.

I hate big bulky gloves to ride in. One the reasons I bought hippo hands for a lot of my bikes. Even the ones that have heated grips and some sort of knuckle guard/wind deflector.
Reactions: 2
I kinda want hippo hands... but I can't decide if they will work over the livewire controls and mirror setup.
Here is the same concept as Hippo Hands. Worked out well for me. FYI - I have the $15 mirror extensions and also used the sort of batwing handguards to keep the faux hippo hands from pushing on the brake lever at speed.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive design
See less See more
Here is the same concept as Hippo Hands. Worked out well for me. FYI - I have the $15 mirror extensions and also used the sort of batwing handguards to keep the faux hippo hands from pushing on the brake lever at speed.

View attachment 1393
What brand are these? Can you supply a link, please?
So you use a battery pack and zip tie those grips on eh? That seems like the right amount of investment. Might be just enough to take the sting off cold nights.
You don't have to zip tie the grips on. They hold on very well without it. Sort of the compression effect of being slightly smaller than the grip and expanding to fit.

Here are the faux hippo hands I used.

I used these (or similar as I bought 3 pairs and they all look alike from different companies) to keep the hippo hands off my brake and to keep the form of the hippo hands at speed.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts