Livewire Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
254 Posts
Right but is it better to call it dead or to try and desperately find a 110 plug? :) Excuse me can I plug into your outside plug for an hour for $20? :) tcycpher you are in Seattle right?
your point is valid, 'specially if you have to sit at a 110v for an hour to just get 10%. :D

and. yes, I'm in SEA.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wonder when the will have a truck mounted DC service? Basically the out of gas for electrics.
I have "heard of" some tow trucks carrying DCF converting batteries around - but never seen any as it would be a considerable cost to support EVs.

That said, there are some EVs that can charge back (like they brought you a can of gas.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have "heard of" some tow trucks carrying DCF converting batteries around - but never seen any as it would be a considerable cost to support EVs.

That said, there are some EVs that can charge back (like they brought you a can of gas.)
We should probably see what ones might work with our bikes. But again I am guess the computer will reject it for DC of any speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't EVER EVER EVER use your insurance for anything like this. They will consider it a claim and it goes in the CLUE database to be held against you. Get AAA and get the motorcycle option. It has paid for itself literally 5 times over since I started using AAA.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How hard is it to get motorcycle towing? Seems like this is something I should understand. I wonder if this is included in my insurance.
I used my HDMC (HOG) membership to tow.
It was pretty painless... although my first time ever having to tow a bike. <-- pics
I was worried at first, but the driver seemed to know what they were doing and no damage was caused.

·
Registered
2020 H-D LiveWire
52 Posts
Currently showing 154 miles at 100% (pic). Furthest I've pushed my ELW is 6% SOC. Everything I've read for any/all EVs is optimum SOC range for battery life is from 20% to 80%. That said, I try not to go below 10% and always TRY to wait until at/under 20% to charge (Level 1 or Level 3). When charging Level 1 I always end up charging to 100% because I'm not getting out of bed at 2:00 a.m. to disconnect the charger, and haven't figured out how to get it to automatically stop charging at 80% -- plus I do like to start a ride with a full "tank". So far, so good; no issues with the bike not charging or being charged when I want to ride, and no obvious issues with reduced range. I generally get the miles that the computer estimates I'll get -- usually 120 to 140 miles on a 100% charge based on the type of riding I do: Back/country roads, small towns, few traffic lights and almost no Interstate riding so average speed is 35 - 40 MPH. I'll let you know if I actually do get close to the 150+ miles "promised". Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2020 H-D LiveWire
52 Posts
Regarding Motorcycle towing: Join the American Motorcyclist Ass'n and get their roadside assistance. It covers ANY vehicle you own; motorcycle, car, or truck, AND you'll help protect your right to ride. There are many other perks to AMA memerbership including a lot of product and service discounts -- well worth the low cost IMO.

·
Registered
254 Posts
because I'm not getting out of bed at 2:00 a.m. to disconnect the charger, and haven't figured out how to get it to automatically stop charging at 80%
I use a smart plug so when I plug it in, I know the bike charges roughly 10% an hour, so, if I'm at 36% when I get home, I set the smart plug to shut off automatically, 3-3.5hrs later, so I'm in the perfect zone 30%-70% SoC.

I use it for the same when I want it to be fully charged in the am... if it's at 64% at night, I plug it in (but the smart plug is off)... I then set the smart plug to turn on automatically, roughly 4hrs before I plan to ride, so at 64%, it should be or close to fully charged... if I want to be sure, I'll just set it to turn on earlier.

This has worked flawlessly since 2019 (for this bike.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used my HDMC membership to tow.
It was pretty painless... although my first time ever having to tow a bike. <-- pics
I was worried at first, but the driver seemed to know what they were doing and no damage was caused.
I wish I would have remembered this one my 2500 mile tour - that $125 with 'Buddy' the tow man was a painful excursion :ROFLMAO: I'm glad I renewed my membership recently

·
Registered
254 Posts
Its weird they said I got a year HOG membership but haven't seen anything since the purchase. I guess it has only been a month.
I purchased the lifetime membership, 'cause I do love Harley and well, the towing alone has saved me once and could easily do it again in my lifetime. it was an inexpensive investment

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regarding Motorcycle towing: Join the American Motorcyclist Ass'n and get their roadside assistance. It covers ANY vehicle you own; motorcycle, car, or truck, AND you'll help protect your right to ride. There are many other perks to AMA memerbership including a lot of product and service discounts -- well worth the low cost IMO.
The link goes to a page that basically has nothing other than roadside assistance at the top. This link works better.

One thing I could never find is the towing limit (max distance for a tow). AAA once towed almost 200 miles for me.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts