Livewire Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

I had a 1980 Suzuki GT380 a neighbor gave me a cheap deal on and it didn't take long for me to see why he did it. It look nice but my god were the brakes a nightmare to deal with.

What's the worst bike everyone else has had?

· Registered
221 Posts
Nice photo of the water buffalo. I had one of those 750's. IT was pretty reliable but all those early disc brakes were a work in progress. Much better than the drums in the rain. I had all the early 2-stroke triples.

I'd have to say one of the worst bikes I ever had (and at the same time one of the best) was a 2wd Ural when I lived in Russia. Not as luxurious as this more modern version. I routinely kicked the float bowls off the carbs. Quality control was pretty spotty. It would fairly frequently break down due to the crappy fuel and roads. At the same time it was very easy to repair and part were cheap.

One big plus in the Siberian winters was the opposed cylinders help keep my feet warm. Assuming of course you didn't leave it outside over night, or for very long, as no chance of getting it to start in the severe cold. I also found the steel frame was easy to repair with a coat hanger, jumper cables and a tractor/truck battery.

I can't tell you how many dates I went on with it. I'll always have a love/hate relationship with it. Mine got me from Moscow to Siberia and all over middle and Eastern Russia. I also found I could tow a trailer with it pretty well. Every so often I think about buying another one.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
2020 H-D LiveWire
84 Posts
Never had a bad motorcycle per se, but I've had a few less-than-favorites. From newest to oldest:
2018 H-D Road Glide Special -- Reach to the handlebar was longer than I'd like and the front end looked sharp, but was overweight, especially at low speeds. Replaced it after one year/5,000 miles with a 2019 Street Glide Special which I love.
2000 883 Sportster -- bought it used for my kids' first Harley. My son outgrew it in about 2 months and took my '86 SofTail Custom out from under my ass. My daughter found it too heavy and bought a Buell Blast, which she loved before she sold it and moved out west. I found it wicked underpowered for my fat @$$ (the Blast was even more underpowered, of course, but not my problem) and ended up selling it for what I paid for it -- lucky for me!
1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD -- Not a bad bike but bought used in '83 and the prior owner didn't treat it the way he should have. Couldn't run it down to below 1/2 tank or it would start sucking rust into the fuel filter. Carbs were a b!tc# to sync and ran out of room to pull the rear wheel back after 2 chain adjustments so had to replace the clapped-out chain. Just more than the effort was worth. Had a friend who had the same bike and took mine off me for more than a fair price, still had them both last I knew.
Bike I miss the most is a 2011 H-D Cross Bones that I blacked out even more than it was, replace the mini-apes with beach bars, added a few other farkles and made the bike really mine. Got lots of long looks and thumbs-up wherever I went with it. Insurance company totalled it when a cager threw a left in front of me and knocked me off it (my profile pic is a result of that KD, 3 screws to put my left ankle back together; to add insult to injury, I lost an entire season of riding!). Considered keeping it with a salvage title but wasn't confident it would ever be really right -- too much frame and engine damage. DANG I miss that bike!
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts