Livewire Forums banner
1 - 3 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
499 Posts
For a totally different perspective I will share my thoughts too. I rode motorcycles for a bit when I lived on Maui 15 years ago. Mostly GSXR600 but a few cruiser rental days. Maui has no roads with more then 55mph at the time. That was a dumb bike but I had know idea. Decided it wasn't fun or comfortable on public roads. Was busy with other things so sold it and moved on. Gave up my endorsement when I moved to OR. I started working from home and I moved somewhere I couldn't just bicycle everywhere. So I ended up driving my Chevy 3500 express can around Portland anytime I wanted to go out. It sucks for city driving. So I really wanted something for 20-30 mile trips that could handle steep hills and small freeway jumps at 60mph. I found this thing and thought I had found the right EV for me. Had tested some 4-5K ebikes but none really solved my transport problem. This thing was perfect so I ordered one. niu Got my license. Then 4 days after delivery they called and said we are picking it up. You can't keep it we are recalling all of them. Nice. So really no other small bike besides maybe a Surron or some other very questionable choice matched. So I was back at Zero. On the way to the Zero dealer to test ride I was driving by a HD shop and said. Eh I should check it out. I had seen the reviews. I took a test drive and it was very sketchy. Brake dive. Throttle setting off for someone as rusty as me. But still a feel of quality. Negotiated but in the end decided to go ride the Zero.
They didn't have the FXE in stock.Just the bigger pricier bikes. The FXE is light and is pretty much a close match to my use case. They wanted a purchase agreement and non refundable deposit and a 10 week maybe wait. I look at the bigger bikes. They were old year models highly discounted. Doesn't bode well for resale if new things site forever. And screw that Zero store stuff. I want to own the bike and have rights to control it not have a closed garden of BS. On paper I thought that if I bought a 16K Zero vs a 24K LW1 that after 15K miles and 5 years that I would loose more money on the Zero. That the LW1 would likely be a push and I would get the nicer bike. Was the end of the month and I got the dealer to do MRSP and the interest rate I wanted.
Aftermarket sucks when it is HD compatible. Foot pegs, seats, luggage frame. When it is grips, levers, alarm speakers, etc it is pretty good.
SAE! WTF. HD branded tires? They are great tires but really.
The sales process meh. Lots of upsell for things I didn't want not enough offering of useful things. Salesman was learning about the bike just like me. Helped there was a Livewire owner there for some HD social event. Free hotdogs, soda, and beer.
But there is a solid community around the big. I think that is key. Even if the dealers aren't on it we can share the information between ourselves.
So what I wanted was cheap transport. Now I have a hobby with more gear and more practice. But it is a lot of fun and it makes traveling around the city fun again. Will it be so when it is 45 and rainy? Gonna find out.

· Super Moderator
499 Posts
So true about the HD switch gear. I hope livewire takes that seriously. Either move the turn signal or at least add some trigger controls to the right side. I mean these controls are all conventions and none of them matter anymore. The conventions coming from having to reliably turn cables. I am sure the rear foot brake is dead. I have my doubts about a twist throttle that is drive by wire. Easy way to flash the brights and fire the horn? Totally needs to happen. But that might not be what livewire brings to the markets. It does seem like we bought the first holistically thought through motorcycle. Most ev motocycles will be smaller and funkier. And that makes sense. I hate to not give Zero any cred. I think the FXE may also be similarly well thought through. It isn't just a power plant, battery, and computer. Though we will see a lot of these bikes in the future. Dual drive bikes. It is all coming. Bikes with big gyro's in them to keep them up. The SPAC is important. HD did the right thing inspite of itself. No idea if the market will reward it. Just having people outside of the norm in the showroom talking to HD riders. Considering them peers. Interesting times. I just wanted a run about. I picked the right one. I save around $200 a month not driving the van.

· Super Moderator
499 Posts
I do have to say that the lack of fast L2 charging is really grating on me with the LW. I went for about a 45 min spirited ride tonight and it will take a good 7 hours to recover. On the plus side I sorted out the suspension even more. The front is pretty well dialed in now and I am surprised how plush it feels compared to before without too much dive during breaking. I need more preload on the rear and don't have a spanner for it so I can't finish it off. I have to say at least HD goest into some good detail in the manual to help you get at least get in the neighborhood for your settings. The headlight is even better now that it is aimed properly.
Just take a break and ride one of your sweet ICE rides. :)

1 - 3 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.