Livewire Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Coming from Southern California, Florida was a new bag of surprises. Odd people in California are generally trying to stand out (maybe a Hollywood thing), while odd people in Florida who naturally stand out are acting their version of normal. For some, it's normal to wrestle alligators with your dad. Regardless, Florida is an odd, eclectic place.

As for a new version of the RESS a few years from now, I suspect I'm in. If I stay on Cape Cod, it's probably a given. Massachusetts might take gasoline off the market in a few years. You'd have to live here to really get the climate of environmental change. The Livewire is very welcome here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Menoche. I will have to review energica to see if they also use 12v battery. I really hate maintaining that 12v battery even in my other cars/bikes. My vehicles tend to sit a long time so its hard to keep them in stored mode. It wouldn't be so much of an issue except I just read others with the issue.. I will continue to research. I've only started looking at electric anything since monday so this is all new to me. thanks for the patience.
"Battery Tender" for the win

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have well over 30,000 miles on 2 livewire(s) since 2019, I have done 2 cross countries on the bikes and set records. As anew new product it is not perfect, yes It can improve and it I'm sure it will and with other offerings under livewire EV we will see some other innovations.

Energica's are excellent machines and most of my friends are owners and riders and stand by them 100%.

No matter what choice you make I wish you safe riding your future 2 wheel EV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tcypher,
not to be arrogant, but re read your own quote: "When the CAN bus is active" When you store the bike, the CAN Bus is not active thus the battery is not charging. For the 12V charging to occur, the Livewire circuit either need to be in run mode OR on a charger. In any other case, the master switch to the RESS is disconnected thus not charging the 12V battery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The TCU for location, is only connected to 12V from the small battery and BCM only when the circuits are active. in passive mode, the TCU signal is sent from its own internal battery.

quote from service manual:
"The TCU has an internal non-replaceable battery of sustaining operation for security purposes. The operating duration when main battery power is not available will vary based on the chosen reporting rate and will also vary based on ambient temperature, age of the internal battery and temperatures experienced over the life of the TCU. The internal battery and the SIM are not serviceable and require TCU replacement if there is a fault."

·
Registered
My2020 LiveWire
27 Posts
Re. unreliable charging - not once in ten months (4000klm).
No Level two charger - what for? we have level one (12 hours) and level three (one hour), so as to maintain battery (RESS) health.
12v battery? If the 12V battery fails, its faulty- replace it and get a spare.
Harley might not like to hear this but any LiFePO4 with the same capacity battery will do.
Can't afford to throw down $50K-AU.... keep the dream alive and you'll get there.
Don't like LiveWire, as long as its "productive criticism" post it here, I want to learn how to look after my LiveWire the way I have for the last fifty years of riding.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
162 Posts
I do kinda wish they'd hurry up though and produce a smallish wind-deflector screen. Also, a small luggage pod. Just because a man's reach gotta exceed his grasp, as the poet saith...
I really want to see a swing arm bag... I HATE the ones that sit at the top. (personal OP)
That said, it's really probably not going to work well since that swingarm has so much range and is already so low to the ground.
If it were a ridged frame, then maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@databoom thanks for the comment. Are you charging primarily level 1 or level 3? I wish livewire would address the other peoples charging problems. It would be nice to know if the problems are one off or a wider issue. I really really want to get a livewire. I'm just afraid to. Need that extra nudge. Maybe I'll just wait for the next generation (after they've announced improvements to these issues).

·
Registered
My2020 LiveWire
27 Posts
@databoom thanks for the comment. Are you charging primarily level 1 or level 3? I wish livewire would address the other peoples charging problems. It would be nice to know if the problems are one off or a wider issue. I really really want to get a livewire. I'm just afraid to. Need that extra nudge. Maybe I'll just wait for the next generation (after they've announced improvements to these issues).
Level one is my primary charging source, note that level one in Australia is 240VAC at 16 amps, (it varies approximately 3% intermittently and we do get spikes that are predictable).
I use level three (DC Fast Charging) twice a year, just to check it works.
RESS will present its maximum life with level one charging and whilst in storage between 60 and 80 percent SOC.
The Samsung RESS is current technology and safe, efficient storage.
Dirty power could be contributing to charging problems, a power conditioner may help.
The systems that run our LiveWire are for the moment not fully accessible.
There are interesting storage technologies in development, my opinion, en masse change to storage will not happen for five years.
Thats why I purchased a LiveWire.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts