Livewire Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was recently pondering if electric motorcycles will appeal more to women than traditional motorcycles. Here is what I'm thinking.

Electric motorcycles do not have a clutch or gears, which makes them a lot easier to learn for novice riders. This could make women more likely to take up the mission to learn how to get their motorcycle license.

For many male motorcycle riders, part of what they love about riding is the feel and sound of a big burly engine beneath them. For these people, the act of riding a motorcycle is masculine experience. Conversely, those same things may deter women from getting interested in motorcycles. Electric motorcycles take away that burly engine and noise, and that may be a more welcoming posture for female potential riders.

Feeling as though you are doing something good for the environment is also something that I think skews a bit more towards females. Having a zero emissions vehicle would be another reason for women to consider an electric motorcycle.

Obviously I am using some generalizations here, but I think that electric motorcycles could be just the thing to get more women to join motorcycle culture.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think this will actually happen, to me it seems guys are not as willing to give up their petrol engines for an electric powertrain, one of the reasons for it.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I was recently pondering if electric motorcycles will appeal more to women than traditional motorcycles. Here is what I'm thinking.

Electric motorcycles do not have a clutch or gears, which makes them a lot easier to learn for novice riders. This could make women more likely to take up the mission to learn how to get their motorcycle license.

For many male motorcycle riders, part of what they love about riding is the feel and sound of a big burly engine beneath them. For these people, the act of riding a motorcycle is masculine experience. Conversely, those same things may deter women from getting interested in motorcycles. Electric motorcycles take away that burly engine and noise, and that may be a more welcoming posture for female potential riders.

Feeling as though you are doing something good for the environment is also something that I think skews a bit more towards females. Having a zero emissions vehicle would be another reason for women to consider an electric motorcycle.

Obviously I am using some generalizations here, but I think that electric motorcycles could be just the thing to get more women to join motorcycle culture.
LOL please not the environmental argument...

And thats a LARGE leap to make (the bolded) men don't ride motorcycles because its masculine, they rider them becasue its like riding death. The exhilaration from being that much closer to the edge is what keeps us coming back for more.

Oh and if you think a big burly, rumbling engine between their legs is going to turn women off from motorcycles, one word.. Vibrations... >:D

oh and thats not a joke...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, without the afore mentioned vibes, how will we get them on the LiveWire? That's it! Dealer installed vibe-riders. LOL

As for the "riding death", 'ol Grim doesn't like hitch hikers. Hop on his back and it's a one way trip. One can have the exhilaration from acceleration and carving a good corner and not be near the edge. Across a legal line maybe but the edge is rather far out there most of the time.

I find anymore I'm a grumpy ******* when stuck in a car/truck but relaxed and happy on a motorcycle.

Women with the desire to ride will ride whatever they choose, gasoline or electric. Just encourage any you know or meet that show an interest to give it a try.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, without the afore mentioned vibes, how will we get them on the LiveWire? That's it! Dealer installed vibe-riders. LOL

As for the "riding death", 'ol Grim doesn't like hitch hikers. Hop on his back and it's a one way trip. One can have the exhilaration from acceleration and carving a good corner and not be near the edge. Across a legal line maybe but the edge is rather far out there most of the time.

I find anymore I'm a grumpy ******* when stuck in a car/truck but relaxed and happy on a motorcycle.

Women with the desire to ride will ride whatever they choose, gasoline or electric. Just encourage any you know or meet that show an interest to give it a try.
on a bike you're closer to the edge than in a cage, fact. You're vulnerable and thats where the exhilaration comes from...

·
Registered
233 Posts

I feel i'm the same way when in a car, i like being outside and being on a bike just puts you out there and helps to take in your surroundings better than you would in a car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For me its the cerebral nature of the whole thing, you're way more engaged in the entire operation, its not that you have no thought, its that you're not thinking, with your words at least. Its all spatial relations and feel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
For me its the cerebral nature of the whole thing, you're way more engaged in the entire operation, its not that you have no thought, its that you're not thinking, with your words at least. Its all spatial relations and feel.
Good way to put it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just think that women have slightly different priorities when it comes to motorcycles. Power is not top of the list. Same is shown when they shop for regular cars.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just think that women have slightly different priorities when it comes to motorcycles. Power is not top of the list. Same is shown when they shop for regular cars.
that may be the case for some.
I still think another portion of them want more power just as men do.

the same goes for men. some guys will forever like a 1/4, and stick with it for a decade. Meanwhile some guys start with a 1/4 and 1 year later you see them on a liter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So then you've just punched a hole in your entire theory. Electric bikes are far more powerful and torquey than an ICE bike. So by your logic if they don't care for power they won't care for an electric bike...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anytime you talk about gender you are going to have to use generalities.

I also think that its less about how powerful it actually is, and its more about how powerful it feels for guys. And its not like women hate power, its just not at the top of the priority list.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, how about this instead? Its not about appealing to women more, but just appealing to a wider swath of people. I think that electric motorcycles will tap into a group of people that may not have otherwise been interested in motorcycles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay, how about this instead? Its not about appealing to women more, but just appealing to a wider swath of people. I think that electric motorcycles will tap into a group of people that may not have otherwise been interested in motorcycles.
Sure that sounds good :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts